autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ordered myself a rotary today

I decided to make the jump and order a rotary, I am tired of spending hours and hours removing swirls on black cars. I ordered the one from harbor freight because I got it for $29.99 and I have heard that its a great way to start with the rotary and its an amazing bang for your buck (a few people on autopia have them and like them a lot).

Anyway, I plan to use 7.5" curved edge lake country pads with the 7" backing plate it comes with, and the polish I will be using is OP, since it is supposed to be great with rotaries due to its massive amounts of lube and long work time.

Am I going to run itno any problems with this combo? I do plan to practice on my friends beater before going to a customer's car, he doesnt care if I burn the paint since its in horrible condition anyway.

And i think ive got the basics down, while learning keep it under 1200rpms at all times, keep moving, check panel for excess heat with the back of your hand. What else should I know? I cant seem to find videos on how to use the rotary like I did with the pc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ron231
    I decided to make the jump and order a rotary, I am tired of spending hours and hours removing swirls on black cars. I ordered the one from harbor freight because I got it for $29.99 and I have heard that its a great way to start with the rotary and its an amazing bang for your buck (a few people on autopia have them and like them a lot).

Anyway, I plan to use 7.5" curved edge lake country pads with the 7" backing plate it comes with, and the polish I will be using is OP, since it is supposed to be great with rotaries due to its massive amounts of lube and long work time.

Am I going to run itno any problems with this combo? I do plan to practice on my friends beater before going to a customer's car, he doesnt care if I burn the paint since its in horrible condition anyway.

And i think ive got the basics down, while learning keep it under 1200rpms at all times, keep moving, check panel for excess heat with the back of your hand. What else should I know? I cant seem to find videos on how to use the rotary like I did with the pc...
    All I can tell you is practice, practice, practice! That said, on some paints mine dose great, and some I get tails. I been using 6" edge pads. I would like to fine a video or take a class.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron,
    Check out this link..not bad info for a rotary.
    DetailersClub
    Does yours have adjustable speed and a locking trigger? I would not get one without those 2 features, I love it! Mine also has the soft start which took some getting used to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richy
    Ron,
    Check out this link..not bad info for a rotary.
    DetailersClub
    Does yours have adjustable speed and a locking trigger? I would not get one without those 2 features, I love it! Mine also has the soft start which took some getting used to.
    Yes it is variable speed, 300-3000 rpm. Not sure about the locking trigger though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    All I can tell you is practice, practice, practice! That said, on some paints mine dose great, and some I get tails. I been using 6" edge pads. I would like to fine a video or take a class.
    E2K pads rock!!!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged
    E2K pads rock!!!
    i am sure theyre nice but I have seen a few people on autopia switch back to LC becuase they liked the foam better and they were also afraid of the adaptor coming in contact with the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

how did you get it for 29....it says 49? am i missing something lol

Post Thanks / Like
    . . . and they were also afraid of the adaptor coming in contact with the paint.
    There's nothing to fear but fear itself. If you look at the cross section picture of an Edge pad on the company's website, you'll see it's physically impossible for the adapter to contact the paint.

The only way you could contact the adapter is if there was some kind of tall nub sticking up from the car like a windshield washer sprayer. I would hope most people would realize it's a bad idea to polish over a windshield washer sprayer adapter or no adapter.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer ur question, I got it for $29.99 because I told them that I saw it on sale for $29.99 and wanted that price still, they said yes. I also got a 2 year warranty for $10 so I'm happy.

Also, I believe the e2k adaptor may contact the paint if you go over a really sharp curve like those on the hood of an 07 camry or perhaps on the edge of a spoiler.

It doesnt matter really, I already have LC, didnt wanna shell out $$$ for e2k. Got the LC on their current close-out to make room for the ccs pads (by the way I fully believe the ccs dimples are 100% marketing).

Post Thanks / Like

6 in. backing plate

If your rotary comes with anything larger than a 6 in. backing plate it's not going to fit the 7 1/2-inch curved edge pads. I think you'll find the rotary not as intimidating as you might think. Learn some basics use common sense, you should have a pleasant experience.

6" Hook & Loop Rotary Flexible Backing Plate - LC-43-150

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast