autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. NOT!

Greetings!

Fall is finally here, and Winter is just around the corner. With that in mind, I need to pick up some de-icing fluids. In the past (before I got serious about detailing) I'd use whatever OTC de-icing fluid I'd find at various retail stores. What those noxious chemicals did to my paint I'll never really know, since those cars are now long gone.

When there's a 'skull-and-crossbones-this-product-is-absolute-toxic-to-any-living-thing-and-may-cause-death-dismemberment-or-mutations' warning on the label, you can pretty much take the hint that it's not the safest thing in the world to use.

But now? I'm an absolute fanatic when it comes to my "Baby's" finish, and I absolutely will not use anything which may cause harm to both my car's finish and LSP.

A few weeks back, while perusing the AG store, I came across Einszett de-icer spray and fluid, and upon further reading they seem to be pretty safe, and more importantly, non-toxic.

Einszett De-Icer Spray, deicer, car deicing spray, glass deicer, windshield de-icer
    Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid, Einszett windshield washer fluid, antifreeze washerfluid, glass cleaner

Has anyone had any experience with these products? Winter will soon be here and am looking for something effective, yet still safe to my car's finish. (as well as LSP's)

It never fails. Whenever anything hits the windshield, it's always on the driver's side....and at eye level!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. NOT!

Einszett De-Icer contains 20-25% ethylene glycol (ie traditional antifreeze)... it's still toxic to humans and animals.

It does switch methanol out for ethanol though.

MSDS: http://www.1z-usa.com/MSDS/Eistau-De...ray-940612.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that you find what you're looking for, but I don't know of any product right off hand that's lsp safe.

OAN: lots of crazies in the DFW when ice is in the mix...lol
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of "safer de-icers" (including IPA) here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-quickly.html

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

There is an eco friendly product line called bio kleen which is all natural apc and simple green which is an eco friendly apc
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the safer...32 oz sprayer filled with gas station pyramid 'blue stuff'.

Much more concerned with visibility than lsp here with these lunatic Md. drivers.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

for what it's worth, most washer fluids are *ylene glycol and *thanol. usually ethylene glycol and methanol.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate winter season. It's already been in the 30's here all week once the sun is down... plus I can't use my garage space so I haven't detailed at all this year basically. Depressing.

Post Thanks / Like

During the 22 years I lived in Fort Worth, I never used anything more than cold water poured over the icey windshield/windows to clear frost/thin ice. Don't every use hot water, thinking it will be quicker. Great way to a new windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by y8s View Post
    Einszett De-Icer contains 20-25% ethylene glycol (ie traditional antifreeze)... it's still toxic to humans and animals.

It does switch methanol out for ethanol though.

MSDS: http://www.1z-usa.com/MSDS/Eistau-De...ray-940612.pdf
    Ethanol I can deal with. And product descriptions say that it's safe around rubber and plastic parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I hope that you find what you're looking for, but I don't know of any product right off hand that's lsp safe.

OAN: lots of crazies in the DFW when ice is in the mix...lol
    Dude, you got that part right about crazy DFW drivers, especially during the winter time! We don't get as much snow and ice as the Northern states so most of us treat it like a summer rainstorm. Jeez, so many crashes on I-35 and 635!

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    A couple of "safer de-icers" (including IPA) here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-quickly.html

Bob
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that thread. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    There is an eco friendly product line called bio kleen which is all natural apc and simple green which is an eco friendly apc
    Pretty impressive, from what I've read online. Not sure if it's winter proof, but sounds like it'll clean great during the spring, summer and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    I hate winter season. It's already been in the 30's here all week once the sun is down... plus I can't use my garage space so I haven't detailed at all this year basically. Depressing.
    Man, that's too cold for me! 50's I like. 40's I can handle to a certain extent. But when it drops below 40...gawd I hate that!

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    During the 22 years I lived in Fort Worth, I never used anything more than cold water poured over the icey windshield/windows to clear frost/thin ice. Don't every use hot water, thinking it will be quicker. Great way to a new windshield.
    Hmm. Cold water? Never thought about that one. I guess the water softens the frost so that it can be more easily scraped with an ice scraper? And you can't get more eco and LSP friendly than water! LOL
    It never fails. Whenever anything hits the windshield, it's always on the driver's side....and at eye level!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast