autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 26 of 87 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
    I do everything by hand. I tried both variations of Meguiar's ScratchX and it did absolutely nothing. It is my understanding that unless you plan on using a rotary or orbital buffer, you cannot remove any scratches/light paint defects by hand. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this one, but I have had zip luck. -Ed
    Shenanigans lol, you can correct defects by hand. I would recommend using euro ccs foam pads and not yellow foam applicators for polishing or compounding by hand. For example a long time ago I thought the results of scratchx2.0 were much better using those pads orange/white, it made the product work better imo. But if you have something that it doesnt remove step to ultimate compound, great product and follow up with a light polish.
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; Modded

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most regretted detailing product purchase

my car, previous to me, was a lease to a lady who had long fake fingernails. Scratch X worked miracles on the door handles
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do everything by hand. I tried both variations of Meguiar's ScratchX and it did absolutely nothing. It is my understanding that unless you plan on using a rotary or orbital buffer, you cannot remove any scratches/light paint defects by hand. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this one, but I have had zip luck. -Ed
    Not true.... Removing defects by hand is done all the time in right areas. Just takes the right pad and compound, along with a judicious amount of hand work.

Although.... I'd stick to confined areas, as hand work will darned near wear your hands off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

You can remove scratches by hand, but it will take a long time. Concentrating pressure with one finger makes it go faster, but doing it by hand isn't as even as with a machine. Often polish only rounds off scratches and doesn't actually remove them. It only makes then less visible. Scratches are only removed by leveling the paint with a rotary or with sandpaper , for the most part, although you can remove them with a DA or by hand with polish with enough time. Wind and water made the Grand Canyon, so eventually you can remove scratches by hand if you don't just drop dead of exhaustion first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    You can remove scratches by hand, but it will take a long time. Concentrating pressure with one finger makes it go faster, but doing it by hand isn't as even as with a machine. Often polish only rounds off scratches and doesn't actually remove them. It only makes then less visible. Scratches are only removed by leveling the paint with a rotary or with sandpaper , for the most part, although you can remove them with a DA or by hand with polish with enough time. Wind and water made the Grand Canyon, so eventually you can remove scratches by hand if you don't just drop dead of exhaustion first.
    Yep, that's what I thought. I gave up after a few attempts on my vehicles and even when I "thought" I had triumphed, it turns out the Scratchx just covered the scratches up (doesn't it have SMAT technology, or something?). I'm simply not ready, poses the time or have the means to start getting into learning how to use a buffer. I'm still trying to find a detailer in my area that specializes in paint correction and then do my own maintenance from there, but everyone I have called simply does not want to get involved in the process. There is not much of a demand for this skill probably because of the weather and where I live it may not be much of a hobby.
    2013 Nissan Sentra SL (Arctic White)
    2013 Nissan Altima S (Metallic Grey)
    2012 Toyota Corolla S 5 speed (White)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's what I thought. I gave up after a few attempts on my vehicles and even when I "thought" I had triumphed, it turns out the Scratchx just covered the scratches up (doesn't it have SMAT technology, or something?). I'm simply not ready, poses the time or have the means to start getting into learning how to use a buffer. I'm still trying to find a detailer in my area that specializes in paint correction and then do my own maintenance from there, but everyone I have called simply does not want to get involved in the process. There is not much of a demand for this skill probably because of the weather and where I live it may not be much of a hobby.
    You wont get your paint 100% but you can get it to something that you can be proud of and not swirled out in the sun. try ultimate compound with some euro foam pads. Check out mike p's "man vs machine thread". Do a couple of panels a day. Finish it over a weekend. or buy a fool proof buffer da.
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    To MyFirstES300 I wonder if there are inexpensive DA's that you could attach an orange pad to, so you don't have be out there sweating like crazy. It won't be true paint correction but if used with Meguiar's Ultimate compound followed with a polishing pad with Meguiar's ultimate polish. It won't break the bank and make the job a lot more enjoyable and will do "some" correction. (I think)

Post Thanks / Like
    Also doesn't auto geek sell 3" pads for a small backing plate, so couldn't you jist buy a yellow, orange, white and black 3" foam and just do them by hand?

Also this:
    Meguiars Drill DA
    http://youtu.be/sX0uDK_NRfU

Seen the kit at Pep Boys, you could by the compound and polish kit and do it by hand using the foam pads it comes with, if you don't have a drill

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's what I thought. I gave up after a few attempts on my vehicles and even when I "thought" I had triumphed, it turns out the Scratchx just covered the scratches up (doesn't it have SMAT technology, or something?). I'm simply not ready, poses the time or have the means to start getting into learning how to use a buffer
    You have 3 cars (two of them 2013s) and don't have the means to get a buffer? For half the price you would pay someone once to detail one of them correctly, you could buy all the stuff and do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02CAMSS View Post
    XMT line except , paste wax , clay , car wash

XMT 360. really think I followed the instructions. I liked the buff until it disappears idea. So a very little bit on the pad, and I buffed. And buffed. And then buffed some more. And ratcheted up the da to more power from Scotty, and buffed some more. After awhile I gave up, shut it down, wiped away the still smear able thin coat of 360, grabbed the DG 501, and took care of business.

Page 26 of 87 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast