autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Too dusty for qd?

I work by a construction site so by the end of the week my car is covered in a thick layer of fine dust. Its thick enough that when my son touched the car i can see a perfect hand print. Is this too much for a qd? Also I've been working on my car in phases and can see that there is easily twice as much dust on the polished and sealed portions. Any ideas to avoid this?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too dusty for qd?

With that much dust, you are almost sure to scratch the paint. I use QD to add a little pop to the shine right after washing. It's no substitute for a needed wash, or you could use ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you should use a rinseless wash with that much dust on your paint.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a compressed air source or Master Blaster, try blowing it off first. If that removes most of it, the QD is probably fine at that point.

I recently parked my freshly detailed car at an airport parking lot (covered but open to wind) for 3 days and it was pretty covered in dust. Some of it blew off from driving home but there was still a layer of dust when I got home.

I blew it off with compressed air and that removed most of it, and I used UWW+ as a waterless wash after that. I know it didn't cause any scratches because this car has no scratches/swirls and stayed that way afterwards.

It may seem strange that driving at 60+ mph doesn't do the same (as far as dust removal) as compressed air. I guess it's because the blowing effect from driving is very gradual compared to a blast of compressed air. Also, it's a pretty safe bet, if there were any abnormally large particles, the compressed air will blow them free. Those are the particles to worry about since most "normal" airborne dust is very fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have an air compressor so is my only option a full wash or will the UWW+ do the job without scratching up the paint? So basically I'm trying to be lazy and avoid a full wash if possible just to get this thick dust off the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I would wash it.
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just spray it down with water, and then dry using a quick detailer as a drying aid?

As for the double dusting, some waxes and sealants attract dust. You just have to find one that doesn't attract dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a pic??? I would try a waterless first, drench the panel, wipe, and inspect.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

Definately do a full wash or a rinseless wash with that much dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been just doing full washes but with temps dropping its got me thinking about this again. This photo shows the car after about a week at work. My son provided the hand print. Think onr or uww+ would work on this level of dust without having to break out the hose and water? Currently I only have a qd so Im trying to determine what if any products will work for me. Too dusty for qd?-imageuploadedbyagonline1353028191-262606-jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast