autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dilemma in choosing

Hey Everyone,

I plan on working on my car next weekend. I have a dark color /metallic paint on my car. It is only 3 weeks old. I was looking into Detailers Pro Series. After hefty reading I am leaning more toward the Optimum Line of products. I have read people get streaks on dark colors with the optimum line.

What are some peoples experiences with Optimum and dark colors? I figure less is more when applying spray waxes etc. This is going to be my first time detailing in about 15 yrs. Especially using spray products.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dilemma in choosing

What are you trying to accomplish? Swirl removal, enhancing gloss, protecting the paint? You would take a different approach with each of those.

When you mention the Optimum line leaving streaks on the paint, I am assuming your are talking about Optimum Car Wax. I have not used this product, but heard it can be a little tricky to use if you haven't used spray waxes before. The most common mistake is over application of the product, which causes streaking.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by utz716 View Post
    This is going to be my first time detailing in about 15 yrs. Especially using spray products.
    What do you mean by "detailing"? The paradigm has shifted from 15 years ago; detailing then for you may have been a wash, some glaze, and a wax, by hand. Today, a "detailing" session might include paint decontamination, clay bar, one or more steps of machine polishing, and application of coatings or other long-lasting protectants of multiple types to multiple surfaces of the vehicle. Today many use a spray wax after every wash.

As rider9195 asked, what is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys. Sorry for not being so clear. That was my fault, I was trying to do 10 different things at work. The car I have is brand new. So I am looking for a gloss enhancement / paint protector. I washed the car and checked out the paint with the ziplock bag trick over my hand. The paint felt smooth. I think it could be smoother. I thought about getting a nanoskin/speedy towel. What I might do is just try a quick detailer and see if that lifts any of the light contaminates on the clear and then spray wax in moderation. My car is going to be parked in a new lot at work around a lot of diesel trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but a quick detailer isn't going to get anything off that a wash didn't. If the paint isn't smooth enough for you, I'd recommend a fine-grade clay bar used gently with plenty of lube and some sort of paint cleaner before you use your spray wax. There really is a lot more to "detailing" than a QD and some spray wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No offense taken. I appreciate the info. I like the idea of the clay being lightly used. Have u had any experience with the nanoskin or speedy towel?