autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a good weekly wheel cleaner ( inexpensive ) APC cleaner, or other suggestions?

I just started taking care of a few cars. Been using Eagle Aluminum wheel cleaner that I picked up @ Autozone and the wheels look shiny and great after cleaning. Needed a little more agitating that I'd like, but it was a first wash, and I don't think weekly washes will be as bad at the first go around. The product isn't expensive, but it doesn't last very long for a bottle.

I'd like to replace the Eagle Wheel Cleaner with something more economical that I can buy in larger volume and still get the same great results with weekly cleanings.

The cars' Wheels I'm cleaning are

1) Factory finished Alloy Wheels
    2) Unfinished / Polished Alloy wheels.

The products I'm considering to replace the Eagle Aluminum Wheel Cleaner are:

1) McGuiar's D103 ( with Dilution, looks like the best bang for the buck - is this safe / good for weekly use )
    2) Optimum Power Clean ( would consider this if it's better than D103 )

3)..... I'm Open to other suggestions.

* Are both the above safe enough for Weekly cleaning?
    * I plan to use em in the winter to clean wheels in a unheated garage when weather permits. Would either of these products be better or worse for indoor cleaning with minimum water available in the winters?
    * Are either of these products going to create unhealthy fumes when using if diluted ?
    * Are there other suggestions that I missed that would be equally as good, if not better than the above listed.

I'm still very new to this detail thing, so building my working knowledge, and working on building a product list I like one segment at a time. Wheel cleaner is the area I'm focusing on right now, as I'm going to have to replace my current product after next week's cleaning.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's a good weekly wheel cleaner ( inexpensive ) APC cleaner, or other suggestions?

You shouldnt need a wheel cleaner once you have them cleaned up real good. Apply a wax or sealant on the wheels and all you will need to clean them is soap and water.

If you want economical any APC will do fine diluted as a general purpose wheel cleaner. Some are slightly more effective then others but for a lightly soiled wheel, there will be no difference.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's a good weekly wheel cleaner ( inexpensive ) APC cleaner, or other suggestions?

As you mentioned, the first time cleaning your wheels is usually the hardest it will be. Both Meguiar's APC+ and Opt Power Clean would be too strong for weekly cleaning. I have gotten away with a little bit of car soap that I have left over.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Zep Citrus at 4:1. Available locally at Home Depot or Lowes for about $11/gal. Amazing stuff and cheap with no shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

If you clean them well once, and apply a nice sealant to them, you shouldn't need to use anymore than your car wash soap to keep them clean. Even if you miss a week here and there, it shouldn't be an issue. Using a wheel cleaner weekly is just a waste of money honestly.

Post Thanks / Like

Be very careful about using any wheel cleaner that has acid in it on Unfinished / Polished Alloy wheels. Whats safe on finished coated/painted alloy wheels may not be safe for bare alloy or billet wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Be very careful about using any wheel cleaner that has acid in it on Unfinished / Polished Alloy wheels. Whats safe on finished coated/painted alloy wheels may not be safe for bare alloy or billet wheels.
    I've read about that. It's what led to starting this thread. I'm going to play around with sealing the wheels this winter to see what kindof results I get and I'll know more by spring.

The cleaner I have been using is safe for Aluminum wheels. Was hoping to get an alternative for it that would still be safe.

* I think the Optimum is non-acid based
    * I haven't been able to find the answer on the McGuiar's APC product yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are alkaline cleaners(as is almost all APC's) and safe for all wheels so you shouldnt really have to worry about it. Dedicated wheel cleaners are the ones that can be one or the other.
    Alan T.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the Eagle 1 wheel and tire cleaner for $3.99....it worked great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's a good weekly wheel cleaner ( inexpensive ) APC cleaner, or other suggestions?-imag0427-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what's written written here... if your wheels are not sealed with some type of polymer sealant, then you'll be cleaning a lot. However any of the polymer sealants out there do a great job of sealing the wheel so that even carwash soap can clean them easily. I just give them a swipe w/ their own wheel mitt before I do the car. Two sealantss I use are Ultima Paint guard plus and Blackfire crystal seal. Collinite 845 is another good one.
    Glen -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast