autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys World Trim Restorer or Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus

I'm currently detailing a recently purchased 1989 MB 560SL that's in excellent condition. Most of it is done, but I have a question about rubber trim. This car has real chrome bumpers with black rubber bumper strips running the width of the car front and back, and 2 small bumperetts on each bumper. The bumper changes from chrome to rubber at each corner of the vehicle before extending down each side, 32 inches each side in the rear, and 22 inches in the front. In addition, there is a flexible rubber "spacer" (for lack of a better term) extending horizontally from the inside of each bumper to the body of the car just under the lights, front and rear. Finally, there are fairly pronounced body side moldings that have a rubber bumper type strip all the way down both sides. All of this rubber is in very good condition, and is almost all already a natural, dark black rubber color. The only exception is the body side molding strips that are on the front fenders on each side. For some reason, each of these pieces seem to have a kind of light, white glaze to them. It could be a residue from a past waxing, don't really know, but you can feel a layer of something on each of these sections of molding with your finger.

I've been reading many of the threads/posts about this product and that product, and I've come across many different comparisons with before and after pics, etc. Some claim that one product is really black, but doesn't last. Others say a different product is better for durability as long as it doesn't rain. Still others prefer a dull finish to a glossy look.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 choices (see title), and I think I'm leaning toward the Ultima Tire & Trim Guard, but I haven't been able to find an actual comparison of these two. So, thought I would take it right to the experts and see what you all feel are the pros and cons of each of these products for my application. I'm looking for a natural appearance, something that might be close to what all this trim looked like when it was new.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys World Trim Restorer or Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus

I have an 85 Benz with similar number configuration. I have been very happy with Ultima Trim and Tire guard for the looks and longevity. My suggestion is to use a good all purpose cleaner (I love Optima Power Clean) to get the trim as clean as possible and to remove any old stuff.

Having said that, I'm pretty impressed with Car Pro Pearl too and it's a lot less expensive. I haven't used it on the trim buy at 1:1, it looks great on tires.

The cleaner the surface, the better the result in my experience. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

There's 4 products I that come to mind for trim

Perl, UTTG, Solution Finish, and Dlux

Perl most economical and versatile

UTTG, excellent product for trim that isn't too faded, it's durable and is versatile on exterior but more costly than perl.

Solution Finish, darkens very well and lasts a good while but should be protected with UTTG to lengthen durability further.

Dlux is versatile on exterior as it can be used on plastic and rubber. It darkens very well and lasts the longest but is the most expensive. Still it's half the price of the only other product that compares to it.

For the comparison you wanted see my link here: Review: Poorboy’s World Trim Restorer
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I used PB for quite some time. OK durability, needs to be wiped off/buffed to minimize the chances of streaking and being effected by rain/water spots.

UTTG is much more expensive, doesn't darken quite as much, but lasts much longer, a month or more, and is very resistant to rain and streaking.

CEE Dog's review is also a good one for lots of additional detail.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post
    I used PB for quite some time. OK durability, needs to be wiped off/buffed to minimize the chances of streaking and being effected by rain/water spots.

UTTG is much more expensive, doesn't darken quite as much, but lasts much longer, a month or more, and is very resistant to rain and streaking.

CEE Dog's review is also a good one for lots of additional detail.
    Good summary I will say UTTG lasts much longer than a month in my experience.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. All things considered, I think UTTG seems like a reasonable choice. I also appreciate the comment by Rayaz to try to get the trim as clean as possible. As I mentioned, except for those 2 body-side moldings on the front fenders, it's all good, but I'll look into the Optima Power Clean suggested, especially for use on those 2 pieces. Finally, thanks to CEE DOG for the link to your review. I've seen a couple of your other reviews. Nicely Done!!