autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Can detailing fix a clear coat failure?

I got the Art of Detailing book and was thumbing through it, and learned that I appear to have clear coat failure on roof of car. My thought was that it needed to be repainted, but the book doesn't really say if there is a Detail technique to correct clear coat failure or not.

After google search a while back, my conclusion was it's toast. Is there a technique I should consider before repainting?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can detailing fix a clear coat failure?

Nope. Have it repainted. Nothing you can pour out of a bottle will fix it.

Unless you want to try your hand at re clearing it with a spray can but you need to know what you are doing for that.

Post Thanks / Like

the clear paint is GONE...nothing but putting some back will correct it...
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineMyCar View Post
    I got the Art of Detailing book and was thumbing through it, and learned that I appear to have clear coat failure on roof of car. My thought was that it needed to be repainted, but the book doesn't really say if there is a Detail technique to correct clear coat failure or not.

After google search a while back, my conclusion was it's toast. Is there a technique I should consider before repainting?

Thanks
    Maybe try Opticoat 2.0. It stopped (not fixed) clear coat failure for two years on this test car ProDetailing: Optimum OptiCoat Review After 2 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Maybe try Opticoat 2.0. It stopped (not fixed) clear coat failure for two years on this test car ProDetailing: Optimum OptiCoat Review After 2 years!
    My roof doesn't look like the one in that photo. It's factory color with a dull white hazy pattern that is appearing in a few spots with what looks to be some small .5 mm or smaller holes spread throughout the haze. Like something that water bead burned through the finish in a few areas.

IMHO, I don't need to add shine to it, I need to get the cars color back on the roof ( which is why my initial thought was need repaint )

First thought it was oxidation, but after reading the section on paint inspection I'm thinking that it is clear coat failure is based on the photo I saw in art of detailing book.

Edit: Upon further inspection, that might be a product I can try to test throughout the winter. Looks kindof interesting. Has anybody else used this product?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineMyCar View Post
    My roof doesn't look like the one in that photo. It's factory color with a dull white hazy pattern that is appearing in a few spots with what looks to be some small .5 mm or smaller holes spread throughout the haze. Like something that water bead burned through the finish in a few areas.

IMHO, I don't need to add shine to it, I need to get the cars color back on the roof ( which is why my initial thought was need repaint )

First thought it was oxidation, but after reading the section on paint inspection I'm thinking that it is clear coat failure is based on the photo I saw in art of detailing book.

Edit: Upon further inspection, that might be a product I can try to test throughout the winter. Looks kindof interesting. Has anybody else used this product?
    Opticoat is VERY well known on this forum and almost everyone here has had some experience with it, if not applying it then at least hearing about it or seeing it in person.

Post Thanks / Like

Will I need a power buffer to prep the paint before application? Or can I polish the surface by hand?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt recommend polishing over failing clear. I did and I wish I didnt. It seemed to make it worse.

All you need to do is strip any wax and then claybar the panel really good.
    Jacob