autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FLEX 3401 HD, what ya think?

I currently have a Meguiars G110, but I am wondering how much better the FLEX is? Worthwhile investment?

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX 3401 HD, what ya think?

Just finished my first job with one on a van using Menz 85RD orange LCC. Had almost no RIDS so the RD did the job easily with the 3401 on speed 5 of the six settings although i did feather the trigger some just messing around. My background is with a 7" IR air polisher but i wanted to try a powerfull DA. This is one powerfull machine in both cutting action and it's useability. It's a handfull and really is probably takes more arm power than even a rotary. But i love the versatility as you can turn it down to nothing for waxing or i'm sure it will cut like hell when needed. The only gripe i has except for the price of course is that like many DA's, you can simply lay it on the floor on it's back. And the handle is really small. But IMO with this machine, you could throw out all the others if you wanted. IF you use your machine to glaze or wax, i don't, you would be expending more energy than if you stayed with a PC or like.

Post Thanks / Like

Friendly bump

Post Thanks / Like

If your personal time is worth any amount of money, it won't take long to make the cost of the price difference of the machine back. I wouldn't go selling your G110 but if you had the Flex 3401 and worked through the initial learning curve to be able to find the polishing sweet spot where the machine doesn't walk on you, you'll find that you'll rarely pick up your G110 into the future.

Very sound investment in my experience.

One day I had a helper on a big polishing job, I gave him my Flex 3401 to use so I was forced to use either my rotary or my G110V2 (neither worked out well on the 32 foot enclosed trailer) I went home that night and ordered up a second Flex 3401. I don't always use the 3401 but I don't want to ever be without it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    If your personal time is worth any amount of money, it won't take long to make the cost of the price difference of the machine back. I wouldn't go selling your G110 but if you had the Flex 3401 and worked through the initial learning curve to be able to find the polishing sweet spot where the machine doesn't walk on you, you'll find that you'll rarely pick up your G110 into the future.

Very sound investment in my experience.

One day I had a helper on a big polishing job, I gave him my Flex 3401 to use so I was forced to use either my rotary or my G110V2 (neither worked out well on the 32 foot enclosed trailer) I went home that night and ordered up a second Flex 3401. I don't always use the 3401 but I don't want to ever be without it.
    Sweet, thanks Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my flex and gg6. Retained pcxp. Using mf pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex is the way, no doubt.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with the venerable PC then moved to the Flex 3401 after much research. Put simply, those other DA fellas can't hold a candle to the Flex, especially now since you can get 4" pads to go with it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a 3401 High Definition buffer on the market now? What did I miss?

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought one while I was on vacation and brought it back to Canada (duty-free!!). I have used it twice on cars and once to try do correct a spot. As far as correction goes, you must understand that I am a heavy rotary user and team that up with wool for the big correction jobs. In this case, my father had scratched the side of his truck against a tree. The scratch was deep. There was a 2nd one beneath it that was fixable. I tried the Flex with a Surbuff and M105 which is about as aggressive as you can go with an DA. It really did not do much. Now mind you, I didn't want to take 5 minutes to work this area. I broke out my Dyna rotary and Tuf Buff black wool and had the area corrected in seconds. My point of this long-winded diatribe, is to say that even though it is more powerful, it still has DA style limits. I also own a V2 Megs DA. I have had no problems with it. I bought the Flex to use as my primary DA and have the Megs for 3" pads. If you had to choose only 2 tools, it would be a rotary and the Flex.

Kaban, a 25' cord is the only difference. that's the one I got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast