autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

which smaller pads to go with 5.5" on a PC?

So right now I'm using the 5" back plate with 5.5" pads on my PC. I'd like to get a second smaller backing plate and pads for the smaller detail areas. I've switched over to using the LC flat pads because they work better with the Wolfgang DAT type products I have (though I might grab some of the Optimum polish/glaze/seal spray product soon).

Problem is first I don't know whether I should do 3" or 4" pads and also the flat pads from LC don't come in either of those sizes. I have to choose either the hydrotech which only have 3 different "cutting powers" or the CCS pads. So, which size would you guys recommend for this. Also which type to complement the flat pads?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: which smaller pads to go with 5.5" on a PC?

I would recommend a 3.5" LC DA backing plate and 4" LC Hydro-Tech pads.

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads

Cyan (cutting), Tangerine (polishing) and Crimson (finishing) are the only three foam pads you'll ever need. The Hydro-Tech pads are more versatile than conventional open-cell pads (flat and CCS).

For isolated scratches and for buffing headlights, check out the 4" Foamed Wool pad.

Foamed Wool 4 x 1 inch Buffing & Polishing Pad

Technically you can go all the way down to a 3" backing plate and a 3" or 3.5" pad on the 7424xp, but I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than the aforementioned backing plate/pads because the machine won't be as easy to control. For polishing really tight spots, you can't beat the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher.

Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I would recommend a 3.5" LC DA backing plate and 4" LC Hydro-Tech pads.

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads

Cyan (cutting), Tangerine (polishing) and Crimson (finishing) are the only three foam pads you'll ever need. The Hydro-Tech pads are more versatile than conventional open-cell pads (flat and CCS).

For isolated scratches and for buffing headlights, check out the 4" Foamed Wool pad.

Foamed Wool 4 x 1 inch Buffing & Polishing Pad

Technically you can go all the way down to a 3" backing plate and a 3" or 3.5" pad on the 7424xp, but I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than the aforementioned backing plate/pads because the machine won't be as easy to control. For polishing really tight spots, you can't beat the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher.

Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher Kit

Thanks Nick. Do you think it's worth it to go to hydrotechs for my 5.5" size as well? If so, how well do they work with both SMAT and DAT products? I guess it just seems "weird" to me to go to a line where there's only 3 "cuts" vs. the others with much finer control via more selection. I know I've read about a lot of people using the HT pads though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    Thanks Nick. Do you think it's worth it to go to hydrotechs for my 5.5" size as well? If so, how well do they work with both SMAT and DAT products? I guess it just seems "weird" to me to go to a line where there's only 3 "cuts" vs. the others with much finer control via more selection. I know I've read about a lot of people using the HT pads though.
    Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of Hydro-Tech pads simply because they cut more and finish nicer than conventional open-cell pads. The only drawback is that they don't last as long.

bmwgalore

Lake Country does make 4" in FLAT version, I have some whites:

But yeah, get the Hydro-Tech model, far superior than the flats.

But I prefer the Optimum MF for the cutting process, much faster with better results. As for Polishing and Jeweling, stick to Hydro-Techs..

bmwgalore

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    The HT has only 1 cutting pad because you can adjust the cutting level with a more aggressive compound, or less aggressive if that's the case.
    Also, they don't soak up the compound as much as the Flat/CCS does, so you let the Compound AND the pad do the work.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple examples of what Hydro-Tech pads are capable of...

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 - Permanent Paint Protection Made Easy

....I tackled the scratches on the rear quarter panel with my trusty Porter Cable 7424xp equipped with a 4" Hydro-Tech Cyan cutting pad and a little bit of Meguiar's 105 Ultra Cut Compound.

And another...

How To: Maximize Time with a Cleaner Wax/AIO

Today, while Jason was detailing a friend's GMC Canyon, I grabbed a Flex XC3401, slapped on a Lake Country Tangerine Hydro-Tech Polishing pad, and put one of the more popular AIOs, Duragloss 501, to the test to see what it was capable of.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Cyclo pads seem to be really over looked here at AG and they have a large selection to choose from. The velcro backing is much sturdier as well. I choose Cyclo over every other pad I've tried.

Cyclo 4 Inch Premium Foam Pads fit on each head of your Cyclo Dual Head Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'll keep the Optimum MF pads in mind too. I actually didn't realize it but they have polishing and cutting pads all the way down to 3". I might have to look into that. Like I said I was debating picking up some of the Optimum GPS spray for routine use on one of the vehicles I maintain, though I'm not sure if there would be a big difference between using Optimum's polishing MF pads or the HT polishing pads with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast