autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple coats of wax

Most wax descriptions say that you can add a second or third coat for added gloss and depth.
    Can you wax too much?
    What starts to happen when you put on say 10 or 12 coats? Does the wax buildup result in a rather soft surface? Do you start losing gloss and color clarity?
    I assume there is a point of diminishing returns.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed layering several layers of carnuba waxes can take away from the crispness and clarity of paint, but can give a soft glowing type look. I noticed this when removing old wax with a paint cleaner. I was actually surprised how shiny and crisp the paint looked naked.
    I read one time on another forum where some guy did a test and head measuring equipment from a lab and found out second layer made a wax thicker, but 3rd and 4th layers on made it marginally thicker. After that it was a waste. I started using 2 or 3 coats, then maintaining it with the spray wax product from the same line. For example, now I'm using Zymol Glasur on my one car, so I'm maintaining it with Zymol Field Glaze. If you were to used Nattys, with this method you would use a product like PB QD+. Souverän? Use the Pinnacle Spray with carnuba. I think this makes sense, as it also what most manufacturers recommend.
    IMHO anything for than 3 layers/coats within the half life of the wax is probably just a waste of product. Also, it's likely the solvents/chemicals that keep the wax soft in the tub may be dissolving the previous layers of wax when you apply the next "topper" later. I wish there was more scientific/research done on this topic, but 99% of what's out there is subjective or anecdotal information.
    Like has anyone really scientifically looked at what happens when you apply a Carnuba over a sealant? I know we think of it as forming 2 distinct "layers". But are the products just mixing on the surface? Are the solvents in the wax removing the sealant? Does any of the nuba stick? Or, does it just all wipe off. Who would really know since a sealant is already down as a first layer. I wish more manufacturers would do some objective testing on things like this and make the information known.
    But, who knows. Maybe they know it's a waste and figure more layers sell more product... Sometime you read this or that product can be layered. But, has anyone done any testing and conducted measurements showing layering increases the thickness of the original coat? Or, are they just going by theoretical concepts assuming it will work. Who knows?????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multiple coats of wax

There was a test done a while back that showed a second coat adds to the layer, but the third starts to take away. It is good to do a second also just to make sure you didn't miss a spot. I would go 2 coats no more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    There was a test done a while back that showed a second coat adds to the layer, but the third starts to take away. It is good to do a second also just to make sure you didn't miss a spot. I would go 2 coats no more.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a second layer is good to cover possible missed spots. Above that...

There are two threads that demystify this recurring issue:
    Thickness of wax layers? - Detailing World
    Wax and Sealant thicknesses - Detailing World

If the moderators do not agree with these links being posted, please remove them!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a whole bottle per car....seems to work phenomenal!

Post Thanks / Like

After three coats wax doesn't stick to the paint. Therefore you are wiping it right off. Aka wasting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Focus more on making the paint surface perfect. Putting wax on a less than perfect surface will result in less than perfect results. I bet otc turtle wax would look great on a perfect show car.

Better yet, why not just use a sealant?