autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What Determines Sealant Life when Layering

When you are layering sealants which one drives the longevity of the products? Like if you use something like the PB PwS as a all in one which puts down your first layer of sealant, then you go back and top that with something with a much longer life like Klasse HGS or DG 105. What would determine the life of this set up, will you get the benifit of the Klasse or 105, would the setup only last as long as the base coat(the PB PwS) or would the life be somewhere in the middle. I have alway wondered this and not just for the products mentioned, but how it works when layering different sealants. Hope I was clear on this question.

FR

Post Thanks / Like
    im gonna suggest wg dgps. I feel its best for durability and appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the base coat (PwS) will last as long as the secondary layers offer protection. As long as the PwS is topped, the durability should be their for a little while. Make sure you give each layer time to "cure" before applying another layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Environment ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question is there a need to put something over the pb pws or can it just be used after wash and clay. is there a need to put a coat of wax over the pb pws and when useing this product what pad should be used with the PB pws i have a pc and LC foam pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    Environment ....
    Nothing to do with sealent or whatever, however Mobil One or Mobil got caught in a jam. The story plays out like this. Mobil only tested their oil with engines not under load. Forcing GM to re-adjust their algorythmes(sp)( engine oil monitor, for the cars that use synthetic. What this all means is the environment; hot cold mild , oil capacity are all factors. With wax and or sealent, how hot, cold, chemical makeup of clearcoat,weather how often you wash all play a determining factors. It all depends.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize that the environment plays a huge roll in how long the sealant will last, and you really can't predict that. What I was wondering is if you put a base sealant down that usually last 2 months, then you come back and top it with a more durable sealant that usually last 6 months, do you get the 6 months of protection or because you have a less durable base sealant you would not get the full longevity of the topper?
    This is what I was thinking, using PB PwS as a AIO to do some minor correction, cleaning and first coat of sealant.(choosing PwS because of correction capabilities) This seems to give protection for 6-8 weeks(obviously depending on environment), but then if you follow this with something like the DG 105 which is more like a 6 month sealant(depending on enironment) will you still get the 6 months because the DG protects the PwS or will the DG only last as long as the PwS base coat. Sorry If I am reading into this to much, I just hate to put down a layer of 105 if I can't reep the benefits.

Thanks Again for all the help

FR

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO What REALLY makes or breaks a sealant, is a properly prepped surface, (PwS or new XMT 360 would work great here), followed by Klasse AIO (acrylic cleaner) then followed up by your sealant of choice. By the way, Klasse AIO is not much of a correction polish like PwS and has no abrasivness at all.

Sealants bond MUCH better to a cleaned surface by an acrylic cleaner, than they do if you were to just top them after using PwS or similar. Thus, resulting in better durability.
    Last edited by nick19; 04-04-2007 at 08:18 AM.
    20 year olds rule!

"For each step-back, there is an equally or greater come-back..."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...must-read.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-bluuuur.html

Post Thanks / Like
    i used wg finishing polish, which prepped the the paint for wg dgps. then i followed with sig series II, spray souveran, and keep it all up with CM as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bambo2888
    i used wg finishing polish, which prepped the the paint for wg dgps. then i followed with sig series II, spray souveran, and keep it all up with CM as much as possible.
    Good to see others use a FG. I too swear by it. After heavy polishing this is a MUST.

Depending on the condition of the paint, sometimes I would;

FG>Klasse AIO>sealant>wax

Generally FG have very small and light abrasives in them, which can be also used before polishing to remove light contaminants from the paint as well. Along with oils that freshly polished paint needs.
    20 year olds rule!

"For each step-back, there is an equally or greater come-back..."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...must-read.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-bluuuur.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast