autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help bad with my Black Car, pictures inside!!!

I recently purchased a brand new 2007 Honda Accord, Nighthawk Black. I unfortunately only really got into detailing and the knowledge that comes with that after I had the car for about a month and took it through a few car washes and dried it with old cotton towels, used Joy soap, etc. That said, I definitely put some swirls into the car.

Fast forward a bit, I thought I had the car looking pretty darn good after a detail I did a few weeks back that consisted of:

Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    Klasse AIO
    P21S Carnauba Wax

I posted the results in the pictures section and got kudos all around. Fast forward to today, about 3 weeks later. The paint is a mess. First and foremost, I found out today that I got NAILED by a rock on my hood. It has been raining all week here in the Dallas area, and on the way to work one morning I heard the rock, and looked for any damage when I got to work, but the paint was so dirty from the muddy rain water, I didn't see any damage......UNTIL today when I washed the car.

I washed my car this morning with my Meguiars soap, nice microfiber sponge, and dried it off with my new Pakshak WafleWeave Microfiber towels. I then finished it off with some Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

The pictures I am about ready to post show two things that I would like advice on how to fix/repair.

The first is the pictures of the damage from the rock. I'm looking to find out exactly how much of this I can repair own my own with a PC.

The second and even most important question I have is the general condition of my paint. I know I have swirls all over my paint. The upcoming pics will show this. I feel confident that I will be able to remove those when I get my Poorboys SSR2.5 and Edge Pads in for my PC. What I don't get is all of the hazing I have all over my paint that I CANNOT get rid of. I have no idea why it is there. The paint looks plush in the garage outside of the sunlight, but when I get it out into the sun, HAZINESS everywhere. QD, nothing gets rid of the haziness. You will seen in the pics below.

So to recap, my two questions are:

1) How much of the rock damage can I expect to repair on my own armed with a PC, Edge PAD system, and Poorboys SSR2.5 and Klasse AIO?

2) How exactly do I go about ridding my paint of all of the haziness crap so that when it is in direct sunlight, I actually just see my paint, and not blurry haziness/holograms all over the place???

Here are the pics:

These first three show the rock damage. This first pic is a little bit farther away:

This second pic shows the rock damage a little bit closer in:

This third pic is really zoomed in on the rock damage. When I got over both marks with my finger, my nail definitely gets caught in the first big scratch. The scratches to the left, or above the main ones seem to be on the clear coat only however:

The rest of the photos here are meant to show the hazing I am complaining about. This is the big thing. Unfortunately scratches will happen, and I will deal with them the best I can. However, this hazing looks ATROCIOUS out in the sun on a black car and I really need to know how to get rid of this:

Last edited by brig2221; 04-01-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    when all else fails, a black sharpie helps !!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have touchup paint supplied from the dealership that can apply the paint like a pen.

Again, the scrached themselves weren't the biggest question I had, although I was curious how much I could expect to repair myself.

The biggest question I have is the general haziness all over the paint. I think my first pic shows exactly what I am trying to explain the best. If you look to the far right of the picture, you will see the haze that can be found all over my car unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

this hazing is called micromarring, and usually where a polish started to break down swirls and was removed to soon. It can also be from using a very abrasive polish and pad combo. You need to move to less abrasive pad and polish (sometimes several times) until it is gone .

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

these are swirls and more micromarring, the sun catches the jaged edges of the scratch. As long as your finger nail doesnt fall into them, they can be removed with polishing. Your gonna need a PC, some pads, and some polishes of varying degrees. Might start with Pinnacles XMT 3, 2 and 1 as easy to use.

Scott