autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Karcher?

Post Thanks / Like

Which Karcher?

To everyone using Karcher pressure washers, what models is everyone buying? I was at Wally World and saw quite a few of them starting at $84 for the 1400PSI model.

Also, what has your experience been with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good questions. I'm at the same place you're at in your search. There are a lot of different models. I've seen the 1400; 1500; 1750; 1800 psi's then onto the bigger gas models.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Karcher 1400 model with a 25 ft. extension power washer hose for 45ft. total. Also I have quick connects for the garden hose outlet and the pressure washer hose outlet making set up a breeze.

I'm happy with it so far. It's perfect for me since I'm mobile and very easy to move around. It has the perfect pressure for cleaning vehicles, but that's about it. If there is some TOUGH grime somewhere, such as fenderwells, you'll need a degreaser to help blast it off. The pressure itself is not powerful enough.

Also, there is only one way to spray, and that is wide. You can not adjust the nozzle into a wider or narrower stream, but that's fine for me.

Overall for the mobile detailer with good products, I give it a 9/10. It takes about 1-2 min once the pressure washer is turned on for the water to get through the system and become pressureized. But this is true with all electric pressure washers.

If you are not a mobile detailer and able to keep the PW in one place, I would personally look into a 1500 or 1750 PSI washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Whitethunder! To be honest with you, I would say that if it's good enough for a mobile detailer then it's probably going to be good enough for someone like myself who only washes cars on the weekends! I was looking into the 1500PSI model. It's an extra $50, but it looks a lot sturdier...

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the 1700psi and I'm happy with it. Mine came with two nozzles one for a wide spray the other is a jet spray. I use the jet spray for under wheel wells and it has cut my degreaser use back considerably. I need to pick up the extension hose that whitethunder got because the hose is a little too short when rinsing down the car. I picked mine up at Sam's club for about a hundred bucks and I also seen it at Northern tool for the same price. A bonus I think is that it was powerful enough to clean the siding on my buddy's house granted it wasn't that dirty but it looked a lot better.

Whitethunder did you notice any loss of pressure when you added the extension? I don't think you would but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by r_wain; 03-28-2007 at 11:03 PM.
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by r_wain
    I got the 1750psi and I'm happy with it. Mine came with two nozzles one for a wide spray the other is a jet spray. I use the jet spray for under wheel wells and it has cut my degreaser use back considerably. I need to pick up the extension hose that whitethunder got because the hose is a little too short when rinsing down the car. I picked mine up at Sam's club for about a hundred bucks and I also seen it at Northern tool for the same price. A bonus I think is that it was powerful enough to clean the siding on my buddy's house granted it wasn't that dirty but it looked a lot better.

Whitethunder did you notice any lose of power when you added the extension? I don't think you would but I'm not sure.
    I've never even tried it without the extension. I bought everything at once. I never plan on not using the extension so I took some of that white plumbers tape (not sure what it's really called) and wrapped it around the threads and tightened the hoses together real well. It's not coming apart anytime soon, haha.

The PW cord is rather long now, so I keep it wrapped up with one of those orange hand reels that are used to wrap extension cords. Works pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the 1400psi small Karcher with the extension adapter. There is a small decrease in pressure but not noticable. Heck I've hooked up a 50ft water hose, then used the 45ft Karcher hose and didn't really lose too much pressure..... I know I was working that small electric pump for everything it had!!

Good luck P1ET the 1400 should work for what you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    Thanks Whitethunder! To be honest with you, I would say that if it's good enough for a mobile detailer then it's probably going to be good enough for someone like myself who only washes cars on the weekends! I was looking into the 1500PSI model. It's an extra $50, but it looks a lot sturdier...
    Also spraying floormats down with a carpet cleaner, scrubbing, then blasting off with a pressure washer cleans them very nicely. Im no addicted to scrubbing and presure washing my mats
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehuth1
    I use the 1400psi small Karcher with the extension adapter. There is a small decrease in pressure but not noticable. Heck I've hooked up a 50ft water hose, then used the 45ft Karcher hose and didn't really lose too much pressure..... I know I was working that small electric pump for everything it had!!

Good luck P1ET the 1400 should work for what you need.
    I always a run 50ft. Craftsman black all rubber hose into my Karcher 1500PSI model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Power Washers are rated at gallons per minute and pressure.
    Well that is why a washer at 2000 psi at 2.2 gal would be less then one with 2000 psi and 2.4 gal per min. Pressure and GPM.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast