autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ready for a rotary...your opinions please

I am about to pull the trigger on my detailing gig and go full time with it, but before i do so, i would like to make some last purchases before i am counting on the detailing money to support the family. right now, all the money i make detailing goes back into the business and my full time job pays the bills.

i currently have a PC and i use 5.5 LC CCS pads.

i want to go ahead and buy a rotary polisher and all the accesorries i will need with it. wool pads, adaptors, pads, pad washers, etc. i want to have everything i need for poorly neglected paint, boat gelcoat, etc.

i know there are plenty of threads in which people ask what kind of rotory to get, but what i would like help with is forming a MUST have wishlist for a rotory and everything you would see i would need to be able to effectively use the machine to full potential.

thanks in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready for a rotary...your opinions please

If you want to spend extra $$ go Flex, otherwise Hitachi SP18VA.

Hope this helps.

;-))
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

if i went flex, i would probably do the L3403 VRG, due to cost

what other things would u suggest i purchase once i decide which machine i want to roll with?

Post Thanks / Like

Makita or Dewalt if you're really going to use the rotary. The Flex isn't what I would call a serious tool for a professional detailer. I tried to use my PE-14 for correcting an entire car in a profitable amount of time and the thing was so hot it was burning my hands to hold onto it after just doing the hood and front fenders.

Ever ride a small motorcycle and then jump from that to a big bore bike? That's what it was like when I picked my Makita back up after running a Flex PE-14 for 1/2 a car.

As far as what you'll need to go with whatever rotary you choose. I'd say some wool pads of at least 6" in size and also some 4" wool pads of course with the corresponding backing plates, foam pads both 4" and a larger size too. All I ever use is orange light cutting and what ever color finishing pads a particular manufacturer has. I have a few white polishing pads and never use them.

I used to use a denture brush but have since become quite accustomed to the Lake Country pad cleaning brush for foam pads. Definitely a real (steel) wool pad spurring tool (not one of those plastic ones).

Lots of tape both 1" and 2".

Along the lines of absolute necessity, that's really all I can think of right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, Just thought of this. Put aside a few hundred to a thousand dollars to cover the out of pocket cost of rotary related mistakes that will more than likely (eventually) happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave! i am actually leaning toward the makita as of right now, and your comments make me lean more toward it as well.

do u think a pad washer is really all that necessary? or do u think i can spend $135 in a better way, like tape =)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Oh yeah, Just thought of this. Put aside a few hundred to a thousand dollars to cover the out of pocket cost of rotary related mistakes that will more than likely (eventually) happen.

true, i like to keep a "cushion" of $$ set aside for such things. my main purpose for the machine will be boats, since i have heard a PC on gelcoat can take forever. i have a feeling once i use the makita, it will be used often though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.A.D. View Post
    Thanks Dave! i am actually leaning toward the makita as of right now, and your comments make me lean more toward it as well.

do u think a pad washer is really all that necessary? or do u think i can spend $135 in a better way, like tape =)
    You're welcome. A pad washer is definitely just a luxury device. No way I would ever spend the money for a new one. I been rotary polishing for a few years without one and have had no problems with an occasional pad cleaning session. I'd suggest spending the money on pads / backing plates instead.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.A.D. View Post
    true, i like to keep a "cushion" of $$ set aside for such things. my main purpose for the machine will be boats, since i have heard a PC on gelcoat can take forever. i have a feeling once i use the makita, it will be used often though.
    Once you think you have mastered the rotary and start telling people that you've never burned paint, that money will come in handy. Gel coat can take forever with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime Jon. Just PM me or call if I can help. I'd be glad to.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast