autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using the Tornador with air compressor

Im a mobile detail er, I just purchased the tornador black. Im looking to purchase a portable compressor that will run this system, of course I want it to work well but not break the bank. Thanks guys any suggestions will be helpful. Id say 90% of the time I have access to electricity so that wont be a problem. Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using the Tornador with air compressor

I bought a 15 gallon 200 psi Dewalt. I think it is called a workshop compressor. It outputs 5.2 CFM @90 psi which beats the minimum of 5.0 @90psi for the Tornador Black. It is a refurb and costs $279 on Amazon. Now I need to get a Tornador. I wanted it for an impact wrench and a HVLP gun to apply Permanon. I use MF pads for cutting and it will clean them too!
    It cost me $279 with free shipping.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jim, Im hoping the gun comes today. i thought the min was 3.5 cfm for the use of the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Jim

I don't believe the Tornador Black requires 5 cfm. I believe that the requirement for the Tornador Classic.

I'm expecting delivery of the Black in a few minutes and hope it'll run fine with the new air compressor I just bought from Harbor Freight specifically to run it. I paid US$4 for a coupon on eBay that enabled me to purchase a 2.5-hp, 21-gallon, 4.7-scfm compressor from Harbor Freight for US$150.
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Friends

I can confirm that 4.7cfm is enough for the Tornador Black. I wouldn't want to be stuck at 4.7cfm with a 2-gallon tank, though.

The Black is supposed to operate at 78-90psi. I ignored that and started at 125psi. Within approximately 15 seconds, my air compressor kicked on. Supposedly, it's set to come on at 90 or 95psi. (I haven't used any thread-seal tape yet and both ends of the hose leak voluminously. This is my first air compressor and I don't know how effective sealing the threads will be.)

But even once the compressor kicks on, the Black seems to be making about 90 percent of its initial "zing" (purely subjective).

My test-cleaning was done on two Cobra Bone microfiber sponges that were used on tires and wheels and had some black stuff on them. I used about three ounces of OPC and filled the rest of the Black's half-liter bottle with tap water. I set the fluid valve to wide open and sprayed each sponge for a couple of minutes and then let them soak for about twenty minutes in a bucket of water. They're not perfectly clean, but they're clean enough for me to use again.

The Tornador company needs to further develop their support materials for their tools and their packaging. The instructions and user information are worse than Chemical Guys's copy, and the cleaning gun itself was packaged about as well as a box of shoes. The Black's logo sticker on the jar is crooked and has two big air bubbles in it.

Anyone in or around my neck of the woods (Buford, Georgia) is welcome to come try it.
    — Jaddie, Max's proud chauffeur
    2012 Honda Odyssey & 2016 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like

Thats good I have a harbor freight not far from me, This is my first compressor I really don't no how they work, HD has one thats 3.5 cfm 6 gallon 150 psi ddo you think that will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    I wanted it for an impact wrench and a HVLP gun to apply Permanon. I use MF pads for cutting and it will clean them too!
    It cost me $279 with free shipping.
    Is the Permanon as easy to apply, and as durable as they say....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd56 View Post
    Thats good I have a harbor freight not far from me, This is my first compressor I really don't no how they work, HD has one thats 3.5 cfm 6 gallon 150 psi ddo you think that will do the trick.
    No it won't keep up with the demand. If your going to get a new compressor, try the harbor freight one.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to HD today and bought a 1.8 HP 20 gallon 155 psi 4.3 cfm at 90 psi, Im pretty sure this will be ok. Its a Husky on sale for 179$ runs on 120 I bought a 50 foot 3/8 hose that come on a wheel that I can mount on my truck, thinking ahead I checked to make sure that it will run sander's and other tools I think i did ok. No maintenance required on it.

Post Thanks / Like

thats 110 not 120 lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast