autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

any Tips for working with black Honda paint

I have a detail lined up for next week It's a 2002 Civic Coupe NIGHTHAWK BLACK PEARL The car is in pretty bad shape It's keyed on one side and has some deep scratches. what can you suggest for this car any tips products that work good. I know I'll be going M105/205 collinite for my wax thats what Im sure of so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: any Tips for working with black Honda paint

I own a 2003 Civic of the same color. IMO product wise you look good. Are you using a DA or rotary? My best advice is to take whatever you think is going to be the proper technique and tone it down one step. It is one of my least favorite paint's to work with but is very pretty once it is finished. Look at my facebook page for a photo album of one I just did.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. With super soft paint like honda's, you gotta check for any micro-marring that any aggressive compound will do. Even a mediocre finishing polish would leave some scratches, so always start with the least aggressive method and see where that takes you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I own a 2003 Civic of the same color. IMO product wise you look good. Are you using a DA or rotary? My best advice is to take whatever you think is going to be the proper technique and tone it down one step. It is one of my least favorite paint's to work with but is very pretty once it is finished. Look at my facebook page for a photo album of one I just did.
    I'm using a rotary (soft paints make me wish I had a DA) and nice pictures btw

Quote Originally Posted by HellDemon View Post
    Yup. With super soft paint like honda's, you gotta check for any micro-marring that any aggressive compound will do. Even a mediocre finishing polish would leave some scratches, so always start with the least aggressive method and see where that takes you.
    The more I read about this paint the more I worry lol I'm thinking I will do a panel with just 205 and see how that goes, possibly use 105 just for spot corrections

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I use a rotary too, not a DA. In some of the pictures you can see me getting at it with the rotary. Anyways, I have only had to use 105 for serious spots on the car, One of which you can see in that picture album, and even then the scratches were beyond repair without touching it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a some of megs #83 cleaner/polish should I use this after 205? I have never used it

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Detailchick View Post
    I have a some of megs #83 cleaner/polish should I use this after 205? I have never used it
    The M83 is a DAT product, the M205 is a SMAT product, the M205 will leave a nicer looking finish via rotary buffer.

If you want to finish out swirl free using only a rotary buffer on your Honda's paint, get some SF 4500 – Super Finish Polish (PO85RD) and you're going to need some very soft foam finishing pads, more pads is better because key to finishing out swirl free with only a rotary buffer is working clean. So you can either meticulously clean your pads as you're working around your Honda, (nylon brush and terry cloth towel), or switch to a clean, soft dry pad.

See new names here,

NEW - Menzerna - New Names and Product Numbers

Some people continue to call it PO85RD but the name is now SF 4500

Mike Phillips

I had that same color on my 2004 Pilot...

Post Thanks / Like

DC...the last detail I did on my Acura's soft black paint, I used the Wolfgang Twins. They worked really well on the car. Before I used the Sonus SFX line 2-4, which I was quite pleased with the results. I think you're good with M105/205. I topped my car with Collinite 915 and it looked fantastic. I did notice a HUGE difference when I polished and then put a sealant on. This last time when I used the twins, I just went straight to topping it with 915. Looks ALOT better with sealant and then topped with a nice nuba.

Do you plan on getting the deeper scratches out? Make sure you have some good quality MF towels because it is so easy to swirl the paint back up.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you a PM so as to comply with forum rules.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast