autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

paste vs. liquid vs. spray

has there been any proven benefit of using one over the other? ive always been under the impression that it goes from better to worse 1. paste 2. liquid 3. spray. but i am not sure if that applies to pure waxes only? when it comes to sealants does it really matter which is used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k20z3kid
    has there been any proven benefit of using one over the other? ive always been under the impression that it goes from better to worse 1. paste 2. liquid 3. spray. but i am not sure if that applies to pure waxes only? when it comes to sealants does it really matter which is used?
    Sealants are all spray or liquid. Usually the liquids will get better longevity.

Paste waxes usually tend to give better depth, shine, wetness, etc. than spray waxes, but that is changing I believe. For instance AW (spray sealant) or spray souveran gives a very very nice look, but may only last a month where as a paste might last 2-3 months.

Spray waxes/sealants are very easy to use and quick. Spray one squirt on a panel and wipe with MF.

Spray waxes are often used as toppers as well, and rarely as the only LSP.

On my car I have DG 105 which is a sealant and lasts for around 6 months. I then topped this with Souveran.

After every wash I "top" the car with Pinnacle CM which has some carnauba. Every few weeks I'll apply AW which will help rejuvenate everything since it lasts longer than CM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never seen paste sealant, unless NXT Paste is a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure your assumption is correct. the reason for this, i believe, is that the paste is the most potent with carnauba, thus making it the most solid. The liquid is the next step down with just slightly less to make the chemical a different substance. finally, to make it through the sprayer and light enough to be misted, the spray waxes are altered to achieve this effect.

correct me if im wrong, i think i heard this somewhere a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the liquid for Pc use but u can use some pastes just as easy and spray dosnt last as long as any of the others but it is nice for that just waxed feel!

Post Thanks / Like
    SPRAY - should be reserved just for touch ups and inbetween full waxing/detail jobs

LIQUID - very user friendly...usually the best for wipe on wipe off...most quality liquid waxes last almost as long as paste waxes, but often are filled with polymers and bonding agents so that they adhere uniformly to paint...this usually results in less depth and wetness...most people wont be able to tell the difference...most higher end liquid waxes/sealants outperform low end paste waxes...

PASTE - the purists' choice... the manufacturing process of paste wax allows for the most carnuba and even the best paste waxes can still be more difficult to remove than a liquid wax...of course there are always exceptions like souveran....

Overall between the three everyone agrees that sprays are best as a quick fix up...liquid and paste? really just a matter of personal preference....

Post Thanks / Like
    the amount of solvents needed to break down the wax, will lead to it being lower in quality. Kinda like a perfume .....

Paste --- (parfum) this is usually the strongest form, and most closely resembles the original wax itself.

Liquid --- (eau de toilette) this product has been designed for easy spreading and solvents used water down the amount of wax. It can however be imbedded with additional polymers to add to its look, or differentiate it.

Spray --- (perfume) this product is usually a booster wax. It contains the least amount of wax, and has alot of water and other solvents for quick ability and touch up.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    well nxt is the one i was referencing with pastes. is that considered a sealant? i always thought it was.
    Last edited by k20z3kid; 03-19-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT is a sythetic wax, and would more closely resemble a sealant.

Scott