autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cause of holograms???

I have an 05 Ram, atlantic blue with 86k miles. No dents, clean paint. So i started with a claying, then went with 3M perfect-it 3 step. Im not sure if i needed to start with rubbing compound. Thats probably what caused the holograms, im not sure. The problem is the paint looks absolutely flawless to the untrained eye. But unless i figure out where the holograms came from, i cant better my methods. I have a few high-end cars lined up I'm afraid to touch with knowing where i went wrong
    afraid to touch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cause of holograms???

What was process or steps along with polisher? Did u use rotary by chance?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to assume you used a rotary. Trying finishing with a lower speed, lighter pressure, and less aggressive polish. Or perhaps finishing with a DA or Flex 3401.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did use a rotary, porter cable, older model. On the lowest speed possible with sprits of water to lube things up. Im the original owner and the paint was in good shape prior, just scratches and sun-fade, my feeling is the rubbing compound wasn't necessary. The 3M steps are 1- rubbing, 2- machine polish, 3- ultrafine polish.

Post Thanks / Like

To the point u made earlier make sure u have process dialed in when using the rotary or invest in a good da polisher/pads before starting on the cars u have lined up.

As far as the compound it may not have needed however the holograms could have been caused at any point in the process

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using the older model Porter Cable on the highest speed using the Ultrafine Finish and a finishing pad? Do a test spot and see if it will remove the holograms. If it won't, change the pad to a polishing pad. If it will not do too, use the machine polish. Make sure you work the polish. IIRC, 3M is diminishing.

Post Thanks / Like

You either need to use a Dual Action Polisher, like the Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's G110V2, Griot's Garage 6", or the Flex 3401VRG.

If the 7424XP, Megs and Griot's are too slow to your liking because of the free floating spindle assembly, then the Flex 3401 might suit your style better as it is forced rotation.

I'm not saying you can't do hologram free paint correction with a rotary, just that these DAs (dual action, aka RO or random orbital) make it easier.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info fellas

Post Thanks / Like

Holograms are created by heat my friend..... and if using a rotary was your route, heat is created very easily - no matter what the pad. When correcting I will use a rotary for every step except the final step or two where the DA plays its role. I have tried many times to create a hologram free finish with a rotary and even with spot on technique cannot quite get it 100% hologram free with a rotary. DA or by hand IMO is best for the final steps to create that hologram free finish

To answer your question - HEAT
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

opie_7afe

no one asked him what pad he is using. please let us know the pads you are using for each step and what speed you are using...