autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much to charge

There is a guy at work that want me to detail his toyota Rav 4. I am curious how you guys determine what to charge. The car is DIRTY. He washed it 2x in five years.

Interior clean
    Clay
    Exterior AIO
    wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to charge

Figure out how many hours it will take you and how much you wanna make per hour. It kind depends on what his expectations are. If they are looking for a quick clean up inside and not prefect on the paint, then charge accordingly. I'm not sure what you mean by aio and a wax? Kinda redundant.

Do you detail for side jobs or is this a one time deal? Meaning so you have the tools to do this or you going it by hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile detail View Post
    Figure out how many hours it will take you and how much you wanna make per hour. It kind depends on what his expectations are. If they are looking for a quick clean up inside and not prefect on the paint, then charge accordingly. I'm not sure what you mean by aio and a wax? Kinda redundant.

Do you detail for side jobs or is this a one time deal? Meaning so you have the tools to do this or you going it by hand?
    It's a one time deal. I have all the tools and products to complete the job. I have both Flex. DG 501, D151, Optimun GPS, XMT 360, 105, 205.......... and many more products. I'm doing this to gain more experience but also i'm kinda enjoy the process of bringing something ugly to something beautiful So far i spend 5 hours just on interior alone. I still gotta wash the car, 1 step AIO, clear up the headlight lens...I told him i'd give him his car Friday. I usually work on the vehicle a couple of hours in the am and a couple more in the afternoon before i go to work. anyway, i am thinking $100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleauto View Post
    It's a one time deal. I have all the tools and products to complete the job. I have both Flex. DG 501, D151, Optimun GPS, XMT 360, 105, 205.......... and many more products. I'm doing this to gain more experience but also i'm kinda enjoy the process of bringing something ugly to something beautiful So far i spend 5 hours just on interior alone. I still gotta wash the car, 1 step AIO, clear up the headlight lens...I told him i'd give him his car Friday. I usually work on the vehicle a couple of hours in the am and a couple more in the afternoon before i go to work. anyway, i am thinking $100
    I wouldn't do it for $100. Maybe that's why I have not really detailed anyone except friends and family bc after calculating things, even just as a hobby, comes out to less than minimum wage. I like detailing my car, but its a chore when it comes to someone else's car. Just my opinion on things.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bl3ujay07 View Post
    I wouldn't do it for $100. Maybe that's why I have not really detailed anyone except friends and family bc after calculating things, even just as a hobby, comes out to less than minimum wage. I like detailing my car, but its a chore when it comes to someone else's car. Just my opinion on things.

I heard you. That's exactly what it is. Minimun wage. He's willing to pay but i am not sure what's fair. I told my wife that and she said a hundred bucks isn't gonna be enough to pay for the Bengay patches for my back and shoulder

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? That makes a huge difference IMO - you could charge $100 if you are in southern states other than Florida lol - I charge anywhere from 130 to 175 for that service (one step ext, semi full interior - 4 to 5 hours, 2 people) and Im in TN. Other detailers here, especially those up north should and do charge much more than myself. With all this said, if you feel that you are doing a top notch job - charge more..... then again if you feel like you are still an amature at this and don't feel comfortable charging more then stay at 100 - its all what you feel comfortable with and your level of expertise.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. If he is willing to pay, don't overcharged him but at the same time, don't cheat yourself. That way, next time you won't he doing it again for only 100. Im setting myself at 180 for coupes on compound, polish, and wax. Even at that price, that's like only 10/hour after electricity, water, and other materials. I don't think a lot of people really know how Mich time really goes into detailing a car. I'm doing 180 bc I'm not looking to do a lot. Just one, maybe two cars a week just for spending money. However, a lot of people think I'm over charging bc people are doing a "detail" for only 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Where are you located? That makes a huge difference IMO - you could charge $100 if you are in southern states other than Florida lol - I charge anywhere from 130 to 175 for that service (one step ext, semi full interior - 4 to 5 hours, 2 people) and Im in TN. Other detailers here, especially those up north should and do charge much more than myself. With all this said, if you feel that you are doing a top notch job - charge more..... then again if you feel like you are still an amature at this and don't feel comfortable charging more then stay at 100 - its all what you feel comfortable with and your level of expertise.
    Thanks for the advise. I am a noob and only played w/ my 3 cars, oh and my friend's big A$$ Tahoe for the last month. However, i think i'm doing a decent job. I'm from Ga. Anyway, $100 it is.

Post Thanks / Like

For as dirty as you say the car is and that you already spent 5 hours on the interior. I would say $180 minimum. For me a throughout wash, clay, wax and basic interior starts at $125. Takes me about 4-5 hours.
    99' Pontiac Trans Am WS9, 402ci/6spd/custom Viper blue paint
    04 Mitsubishi Galant GTS - Torched Steel Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Not charging enough makes detailing not fun real quick. It turns into a brutal minimum wage job and not a hobby/fun and loses its appeal REAL quick. You gotta factor in your costs on materials as well OP. Everyone wants experience and thats great, but there's nothing wrong with getting paid for your work. NO ONE WORKS FOR FREE.

$100 for 5 hours of work is $20/HR before material costs. And you haven't even begun the outside yet? I'm not telling you what to do at all. I just know from experience that it stops being fun and actually costs you money when you cut your own throat with prices. You said yourself you do good work and obvioously this guy thinks so or he wouldn't have you doing his car. Charge what your worth plus 15%

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast