autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tree sap!!! How to remove it?!?!

Like the title says I was washing an waxing a car an my car was on the street under a tree (whole street is covered with trees) an this morning I saw I have a tree sap drip on my passenger door. Any help?!?!?

Mike Phillips

Re: Tree sap!!! How to remove it?!?!

There's all kinds of trees and bushes and each tree or bush emits it's own type of sap. Some sap is water soluble and can be easily softened, dissolved and removed just by washing the car. Some tree sap is like epoxy glue after it dries and hardens making it difficult and risky to remove.

If you haven't tried washing, try that first. You also might consider finding a way to keep a wet towel on top of the tree sap to hold water against it over time to soften the sap.

I show that technique here for removing a dried bird dropping safely but you could use the same principal for dried tree sap, you just have to figure out how to keep the towel against a vertical panel. A long beach towel might do the trick, affix it onto a horizontal panel somehow so the rest of the towel rests against the vertical panel.

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping

Mike Phillips

Check the below thread out too...

How often can you use detailing spray?

Here's just one picture from the webpage above...

The picture above is of my Honda Pilot in my garage where I washed cars, (out of the desert sun).

Note the plastic curtains covering shelves in the back.

Mike Phillips

Use a plastic razor blade to carefully chip it off and then polish out any scratching or marring.

Need to find a safe place, away from or out from under the sappy trees.

Maybe a car cover?

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the quick response! I haven't tried washing yet, only noticed it today on my way out the door to head to work. I just decided to ask because I have heard of tons of different ways to remove it (ex: WD40 not sure I would try it though). I don't have trees at my house, I was washing someone else's car to make some dough!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by chris.ganucheau View Post

Appreciate the quick response! I haven't tried washing yet, only noticed it today on my way out the door to head to work.

It's more than washing for some tree sap, it's saturating the sap with water to soften it, a quick spray from a hose nozzle won't work because all the water will simply run off a vertical panel, so check out the links to the threads I included, the pictures tell the story.

Also, better to get on top of this as soon as possible, before the paint can become stained or the tree sap solidifies like concrete.

If you're already at work, try to find a place to park so the affected area is in the shade, not full sun.

Post Thanks / Like

You got me worried about it hurting my paint lol, luckily I work at a Napa Store. I don't usually use any of the products we sell but I was becoming paranoid over the sap being on my paint so I used some Stoners Tarminator an it took it right off! Phew!!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try enamel reducer...rub it lightly...it may cause a dull spot,but a quick pass over it with a polishing machine brings it right up...what ever chemical you choose to use ,dont rub it hard!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbing alcohol works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tomthedetailer View Post
    Try enamel reducer...rub it lightly...it may cause a dull spot,but a quick pass over it with a polishing machine brings it right up...what ever chemical you choose to use ,dont rub it hard!!!
    Appreciate the response, I ended up using some Stoners Tarminator an it took it right off! I don't think I would have tried the enamel because I don't have a Polisher at the moment unfortunately.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast