autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pros/Cons of Clear Film?

What are the pros/cons of clear film bra? Has anyone done it that regretted it?

Background: My new car is on a ship and scheduled to arrive in Houston in the next few days, and is supposed to be in Portland by the end of April. I stopped by the dealer today to have them appraise my current car for potential trade, and the sales guy took advantage of my walking around time to pitch their clear film. The skeptical part of me says this is a not-so-clever way to get back some of the discount I was able to negotiate (of course, so is the trade-in). The protective owner in me, however, says that this might not be a bad thing. I don't really like the way it looks (reminds me of grandma's couch with the clear plastic protector), and wonder about long term stability, ultimate removal, "tan lines", etc. I live in OR, where they use volcanic ash on the roads in winter, so I'm definitely going to get rock chips.

They charge $1k for the front, mirrors, and door edges. I'm sure I can get it for less money at a private shop, but I'm more interested in the general consensus of the forum on whether it's a good thing or a waste of money.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pros/Cons of Clear Film?

For $1K you should get the full hood as well. It has saved our new A6 from a chip or two already in about a month of ownership. Don't really notice it on the car, especially with the full hood covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Read through this
    Maybe of help. Or click on search, enter clear bra or protective films, etc.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    You didn't mention what kind of car
    It is, but I have one on my black BMW. I like it, because other BMWs I have had ended up with chips, scratches, etc... In the front bumper that where pretty nasty and really detracted from the appearance of the car IMHO. That being said, a clear bra is noticeable and doesn't stay perfect either. On mine, there are a few spots (I'm being very picks) where there are imperfections in it. I'm very happen I got it, as it does maintain factory paint and isn't too noticeable. If the car is a light color
    Inexpensive car may not be worth it, depending on the value of the car. I paid about $600 for mine, and
    It's front bumper, and part of the hood and fenders. Before I got it, I spent a lot of time researching installers, as a quality installation by a pro is key. I'm not sure I would let a dealer do it, unless I saw there work. Also, the price is too high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Color?
    Type of car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EPA7 View Post
    What are the pros/cons of clear film bra? Has anyone done it that regretted it?

I'm more interested in the general consensus of the forum on whether it's a good thing or a waste of money.
    -I personally have never regretted having PPF on any of my vehicles.

-Compared to a re-spray...
    PPF: It's a "good thing", and not a waste of money...IMHO.

BTW: XPel is my brand-choice...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    -I personally have never regretted having PPF on any of my vehicles.

-Compared to a re-spray...
    PPF: It's a "good thing", and not a waste of money...IMHO.

BTW: XPel is my brand-choice...

Bob
    +1 on all accounts. I don't have an Xpel bra, I have the 3m, but I use the XPel sealant on my bra and it works great
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

I would do mine again no questions asked. The one thing I would say to avoid is only covering part of a panel. On my first car they did their kit that covered part of the fenders and part of the hood. I did not mind the seam across the panels but it was pretty noticable. Second car, I had them cover the entire hood and both fenders completely, and now it is hardly noticable.

Downside of that is people may want to touch it to prove it is there..... They were able to wrap some parts to completely hide the seam but in most areas the seam just runs next to the panel edge making it very hard to unless you are very close and looking for it.

If it is not a new body style, try finding one a couple years old and check for other areas that are prone to damage. I had the rockers done on my car because at the rear the rocker sticks out past the door and was prone to rock chipping.

My hood is XPel (I beleive) and my fenders are 3M, claim being xpel was visually more appealing... Not sure I notice much difference, but I put opti-coat over all of it once it was installed and that got rid of most of the plastic look.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

I have a love and HATE relationship with PPF.

First I'll list the hates/dislikes:

• The film may not chip, but it still pits just like the paint, and looks just as bad over time.
    • Plastic bumper covers rarely chip, and for the cost of a good clear film install on them you could have the entire bumper repainted later.
    • I put 18" film on my hood and fenders....now I have tons of chips beyond the film and it looks stupid, at least without the film it would be uniform looking.
    • Stretch marks! Nothing worse than seeing a film on your car that look like it just went through 9 months of pregnancy!
    • Edges, edges, and more edges! I hate them!
    • Defect removal is more difficult and can be much more limited.
    • Texture/appearance difference (not so bad on some newer films)
    • Pre-cut films that leave gaps on the edges suck and IMO are for lazy installers! Wrap those edges!
    • Lack of good installers

Things I like:

• They definitely work well at preventing rock chips.
    • Newer film technologies available now that look better and last longer.

My biggest hate for PPF film come from having to try and make it look presentable after being neglected by the owners. Some quick examples of what I get to deal with.

Yellowing film on a '08 C63

I love taping off PPF

Door edge guards are my favorite! Have fun getting swirls/scratches out of a 1/4" width piece of film!

Notice the pitting in the film on my hood near the sun burst....I finally had enough and removed it. Can't be seen in the pic but the hood is peppered with chips beyond the film.

Here's how the PPF looked on an solid black '09 A5 with only 30K miles....pitting anyone?

Every one of these film edges has to be taped off for polishing or manually cleaned to remove polish excess, which is really the only option when film is very trashed.

Good stuff!

Here is an example of the type of poor quality work some installers are doing in my area...and actually getting away with it. This brand new car was parked and untouched for 30 days after the PPF install and came directly to me for new car prep and Opti-Coat.

Mirrors

Film texture and swilrs

Blemish in film

50/50 after fixing the brand new film job

If you choose to get it done I highly suggest wrapping the whole panel (at least the hood) and paying to have all or as many edges wrapped as possible, leaving little or no seams. Xpel has a newer film out now which is self healing and appears to eliminate the accumulation of swirls. I watched them demo it at SEMA last November at it's very impressive. You can read more about it here. IMO it's the only film I'd put on my new car. The price is considerably more expensive and to do a full hood you're probably looking at $600-1000 depending on the car.

FWIW my local installer/friend wraps the hood and fenders in 3M film for $175 (18") or $200 (24"). The dealership jacks up the price big time to make a profit.

Just my $.02
    Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Color?
    Type of car?
    Audi A7 Savannah Beige. Definitely not as dramatic (or hard to maintain) as the darker colors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast