autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a part time production detailing business

Wash clay wax vacuum interior protectant tire shine glass cleaner leather conditioner

Which ones should be up sell, what would you charge/ any other input; I'm mobile as well

I'm thinking 100 for all, leather conditioning is 10-15 upsell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    Wash clay wax vacuum interior protectant tire shine glass cleaner leather conditioner

Which ones should be up sell, what would you charge/ any other input; I'm mobile as well

I'm thinking 100 for all, leather conditioning is 10-15 upsell
    I get 89 to 149 so I think your price is good

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a part time production detailing business

I'm in Cincinnati, Oh (I hear price depends on location), I charge $125 for that, in shop, not mobile. If I did mobile, maye $10-$15 more for convenience of going to client.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwlinc23 View Post
    I'm in Cincinnati, Oh (I hear price depends on location), I charge $125 for that, in shop, not mobile. If I did mobile, maye $10-$15 more for convenience of going to client.
    Where are you at in Cincy? I live in NKY like 10 min from downtown. I'll send you a PM!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

I think it also depends on the size of the vehicle. Make sure you charge accordingly for that. Everyone is different, but I upsell the claying process. Most people don't care, but the ones that do care would more than likely pay the extra $ to have their paint feelin purrdy.
    From PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
    Still new to the game. Hobby Detailer. General car lover, but a huge Toyota enthusiast!!
    Looking forward to always learning!

Post Thanks / Like

doesn't claying however add a lot to the final gloss, because the 'shiny" comes from smoothness? so its sort of necessary (assuming many clients will have never clayed) and yeah for larger vehicles prices would vary, I'm just worried I'll have trouble getting clients, but I don't want to sell myself short

Post Thanks / Like

Check out some of the detail shops around you. Check out their prices and then check out the quality of their work.

There was a poster on here that did that and noticed this "pro detail shop" used dirty terry cloth towels to wash and an old dirty rotary buffer to instill some new holograms and swirl marks into a black BMW 3 series.

They are probably charging $150 as well. I'll bet their customers are real happy with their dirty dingy car being all new and clean now. They probably don't even know a swirl from a squirrel as someone else on here put it. That shop likely has no trouble finding victi....ummm customers too.

Unlike them, you, like me, have learned a lot from sites like this. It's time to price your higher skill set accordingly.

If you charge lower prices you give off the impression you don't value your own work highly.

If you don't judge yourself highly, who will?
    If you don't value your work, no one else will either.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to that:

If you're like me you love what you do and you love the cars you're working on. You treat them as if they were you're own. Some people out there just do it for the money and see every car as just another car and every customer as just someone to scam out of their money. It's a different mindset and it's worth a lot. There is a trust factor there that is priceless. Especially for vehicles the owner really cares about.

It's not a bad idea to also educate your customers a bit so they know what they are getting. Even if it's just close up before and after photos on your website or ad showing paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    doesn't claying however add a lot to the final gloss, because the 'shiny" comes from smoothness? so its sort of necessary (assuming many clients will have never clayed) and yeah for larger vehicles prices would vary, I'm just worried I'll have trouble getting clients, but I don't want to sell myself short
    Well, this is why I upsell claying. You talk to your customers and just explain that you are washing and waxing the vehicle and it will come out looking great. But right after that, mention to them that if you add on a claying, it will bring out a deeper shine and "it's only $X more to clay the vehcile as well." I need to adjust my prices still, but I think I am adjusting mine to add $25 to a detail for a claying.

And don't ever sell yourself short. Keep your prices where YOU feel comfortable and what you believe to be in the range of the clientele. I've been told this as well since this is my first full season of detailing part time, be confident in your abilities and explain whatever services you offer that your customer may not know about or understand and you'll be fine!!
    From PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
    Still new to the game. Hobby Detailer. General car lover, but a huge Toyota enthusiast!!
    Looking forward to always learning!