autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I do about these rims? (pics inside)

Can you guys tell me what's happening to these rims? Oxidation? Water spots? They had em like that when I bought the car but it's gotten a bit worse after the winter. What can I do to make em shine again? FWIW I don't know whether the rims are chrome or aluminum.

pics of the culprit:

pic of good rims for reference:

Thanks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know for sure, but seeing as they are volk wheels i would contact the manufacturer or Mackin industries about them. If I recall the volk gt wheels have anodizing over the polished parts of the wheel. From what i recall it is pretty sensitive stuff, but I have not personally owned volk wheels so I can not attest to how true this may be. Maybe in an inconspicuous area test some real mild paint polish and see if it clears up a bit, or some tame metal polish. I would be wary of removing that coating unless you are prepared to do them all, as well as keep them polished also. Honestly they appear to be oxidized, but I would hate to be wrong and you remove that coating!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Pic is alittle far away, but it looks like they are polished aluminum lips. Comparing the pics of good rims to bad... Looks like the aluminum hadn't been cared for... Looks like aluminum here in Chicago after the winter. Combination if oxidation, water stains, if you live in a snowy region, most likely some salt staining.

Best to look up the rim type in the rim manufacturers website to see exactly what they are made of though.... Pretty sure I am correct though. Going to need a good polishing or 2 or 3 to get them looking good again.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://forum.caswellplating.com/meta...lk-wheels.html

Here's the same series gt wheel with the anodized coating mentioned over the polished surfaces. I can find more info im sure if need be. Have those been yours since new or been refinished?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AG Online