autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Sealants and Glazes with 'Damp' MF

Does everyone use 'dry' microfiber cloths to wipe sealants and glazes after application, or do any of you 'dampen' the MFs with a few shots of QD spray?

I read elsewhere that, after applying Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, it is wise to first use a 'damp' MF (with QD spray), then follow with a dry MF.

Can anyone say if this applies to teh other popular selants and glazes typicaly discussed in this forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Sealants and Glazes with 'Damp' MF

mine are always dry

Post Thanks / Like

I never touch my paint with a dry MF towel...I always spray a bit of detail spray on the towel first to dampen it. I'm not sure its necessary, but I prefer to error on the side of caution.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Never for sealants - for waxes, sometimes, but most sealants say that getting wet might inhibit cross-linking. Will using a damp towel make a noticeable difference to durability? Maybe not, but I'd rather not take that chance. Of course, I should add that the sealants I've used have all been very easy to buff off (or in some cases, not require buff off at all). Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if I were using KSG, or had thickly applied FK1000P.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I never touch my paint with a dry MF towel...I always spray a bit of detail spray on the towel first to dampen it. I'm not sure its necessary, but I prefer to error on the side of caution.
    I am beginning to think the same way and may lightly hit any MF I use with either QD or water...for a gentler touch.

Post Thanks / Like

some waxes and sealants are a pain in the ass to remove without first dampening the MF towel. Collinite 476 (if applied too thick) and some other sealants (for instance Wolf's Glass Guard... comes off like butter with a damn MF, but just smears around if you try to remove it with a dry MF). So it depends on the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    some waxes and sealants are a pain in the ass to remove without first dampening the MF towel. Collinite 476 (if applied too thick) and some other sealants (for instance Wolf's Glass Guard... comes off like butter with a damn MF, but just smears around if you try to remove it with a dry MF). So it depends on the situation.
    Thats' another spin I was trying to put on this. We talk (in these forums) about prming MF's and MF applicators so they absorb less product, right? Well, why not prime with QD rather than the product itself (which I presume costs more money in most cases)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Never for sealants - for waxes, sometimes, but most sealants say that getting wet might inhibit cross-linking. Will using a damp towel make a noticeable difference to durability? Maybe not, but I'd rather not take that chance. Of course, I should add that the sealants I've used have all been very easy to buff off (or in some cases, not require buff off at all). Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if I were using KSG, or had thickly applied FK1000P.

I will sometimes mist my MF towel very lightly with a detail spray when removing carnauba waxes only. All the sealants I have wipe off super easy so they are not a problem.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I mist a little bit of QD on my foam buffing pads too. IOt works super well, makes the rotary work very very smooth. Just mist it once (twice at most) or you will be diluting the polish way too much and make a big mess. Mist once and you'll see a huge difference. Been doing it for a while and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    I mist a little bit of QD on my foam buffing pads too. IOt works super well, makes the rotary work very very smooth. Just mist it once (twice at most) or you will be diluting the polish way too much and make a big mess. Mist once and you'll see a huge difference. Been doing it for a while and I love it.
    I do the same when buffing with my PC 7424 XP. Thanks vm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast