autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking grit out of microfiber nap

Stretch towel tight. Use weights on one end, and pull out with other hand...Then use vacuum cleaner...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I inspect each towel before use and use a hemostat to pluck any minor debris from the towel. If it hits the ground, it either goes in trash or gets a big "X" marked on it with a sharpie and is used for door jams, etc. I wont even used contaminated ones on my wheels. They are clear coated as well.
    The X marking is a good idea. I'll probably mark a few.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone -- I guess I was hoping there was some sort of magic "soak" that would be more aggressive, but no luck.

This kind of got me thinking -- As far as tossing them if they hit the ground (assuming concrete or garage floor), what would be the difference between the sand/dirt on the concrete, and the sand/dirt from a waterless/rinseless wash?

Also, if the goal of using MF is the sort of "magnetic/static" properties that trap dirt, why do companies make the nap looped which makes it a pain in the rear to get the dirt out? In theory, woudn't that mean there could be junk in our MF towels, even if used 'normally', that isn't coming out?

OR am I thinking too much...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aray View Post
    ..<snip>..

This kind of got me thinking -- As far as tossing them if they hit the ground (assuming concrete or garage floor), what would be the difference between the sand/dirt on the concrete, and the sand/dirt from a waterless/rinseless wash? ..<snip>..
    I use the LC blue grout sponge for ONR. After wiping a section, you can see the dirt on the face and in the cube cuts. 2 drags on the grit guard in the rinse water bucket, and it is clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback everyone -- I guess I was hoping there was some sort of magic "soak" that would be more aggressive, but no luck.

This kind of got me thinking -- As far as tossing them if they hit the ground (assuming concrete or garage floor), what would be the difference between the sand/dirt on the concrete, and the sand/dirt from a waterless/rinseless wash?

Also, if the goal of using MF is the sort of "magnetic/static" properties that trap dirt, why do companies make the nap looped which makes it a pain in the rear to get the dirt out? In theory, woudn't that mean there could be junk in our MF towels, even if used 'normally', that isn't coming out?

Excellent quandry hand!
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

you can take some piece of tape and use it to pick out the grit. the grits will stick right to the tape piece.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have said if hits a dirty floor or driveway. My floor is clean when I work on a car. If it hits a clean floor, I inspect and clean. Then I do not use until I wash it.

I use dedicated MFs for ONR. I also always go to a coin op and power wash the heavy grit off.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

or just use vaccuuum cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lint roller to iron out all my micros whether getting ready for a detail or have hit the ground. I keep my garage floor pretty clean during details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12