autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micrfiber Towel lint left on car after removing wax or drying. WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    Don't buy throw out the towels until you have tried boiling them.

Often washing them is not enough to remove all the residue. In a pot of boiling water add a capful of vinegar (optional), then boil one towel at a time for 1 to 2 minutes. Let them cool a little and run them through a normal wash.

Thanks, I'll try anything at this point.

I have not boiled them yet, but I have washed them in VERY hot water and double rinsed.

I'll give the vinegar a shot. I mean I'll use the vinegar and then have a shot of Jack Daniel's.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think boiling is going to do anything for your linting problem, or vinegar either. Think of it this way, those fibers are micro, which means they aren't going to be very strong, and are going to break off easily. It's not a matter of cleaning them better--more fibers are going to keep coming off.

Or how about this analogy...when you wash your clothes, you always wind up with some stuff in the lint screens of the washer and dryer, right? Maybe the first time you wash you have more, but you always have that stuff, right? Meaning every time you wash more and more lint comes off...until your clothes are threadbare and worn out. The same thing is happening to your MF's...those microfibers are shedding every time you use and wash the cloth...not just once and then it stops. Or I could just be rambling with no idea what I'm talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don't think boiling is going to do anything for your linting problem, or vinegar either. Think of it this way, those fibers are micro, which means they aren't going to be very strong, and are going to break off easily. It's not a matter of cleaning them better--more fibers are going to keep coming off.

Or how about this analogy...when you wash your clothes, you always wind up with some stuff in the lint screens of the washer and dryer, right? Maybe the first time you wash you have more, but you always have that stuff, right? Meaning every time you wash more and more lint comes off...until your clothes are threadbare and worn out. The same thing is happening to your MF's...those microfibers are shedding every time you use and wash the cloth...not just once and then it stops. Or I could just be rambling with no idea what I'm talking about.

Hey, at this point, most anything makes sense. Seriously, what you say does make sense, but whenever I wash a bunch of them in the washer, and then put them in the dryer, not a spec of lint is on the screen! I supose they are waiting to attach to my car finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the micro fibers simply are too small to be caught in your screens...either that, or as I mentioned before, they are mechanically removed from the towel as you are wiping the glass/car.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 100% cotton baby diapers to wax as well as removing wax, polish or sealant. I have not had a lint issue when used but when I use MF lint is present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoc View Post
    I use 100% cotton baby diapers to wax as well as removing wax, polish or sealant. I have not had a lint issue when used but when I use MF lint is present.

Where does one buy 100% Cotton Baby Diapers today?
    I used then when my kids were little tykes, but now they are all adults with kids of thier own, and use Pampers!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way UPS just delivered my order of Cobra Microfiber cloths a little while ago.

Should I wash them?
    Should I use as is from the box?
    Should I boil them?
    Should I use vinegar?
    Should I use cold or hot water in the wash?
    Should I use detergent?
    Or,
    Should I send them back??

Post Thanks / Like

This is from a 2007 Forum, that's 5 years ago, and seems folks are having the same problem today.
    Read on.....................

@#$& MicroFiber Lint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I washed by themselves, did a separate rinse in vinegar and dried with blue balls on no heat. (and yes cleaned lint trap first)

Towels came out looking great very fluffy.........Problem is they lint like mad.
    I don't think there is anything more frustrating than waxing the car and having those little lint strands on the surface. Its especially maddening on the glass.

First how do you get that %$% off ? Spray the car with water ???
    Second are Cobra towels just more prone to linting?
    Third I assume some of this problem is from static, is there any way to reduce the static charge of the surface?

Post Thanks / Like

Huck cotton towels are the best I've used on glass. They are specifically made not to shed fibers. "Lint", or shed fibers, may be an annoyance while detailing, but are of extreme concern in the operating room.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to battle them, but I think the best way to fix the problem is to change up the technique a little.

It seems like when I'm leaving lint it's when the towel is battling some resistance on the surface. Sometimes this means using two towels. The first towel gets the most resistance and will probably leave a little lint. The second towel should glide smoothly and remove any lint. Sometimes a VERY light mist of a quick detailer to prime the first pad helps out as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast