autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle Scratches on New Motorcycle.

My first question is, "How do I remove tiny scratches on my new (metallic black) motorcycle? These are scratches from the dealer wiping down the cycle on the showroom floor.

I've used some swirl remover, (Meguiar's), but now have new scratches going in another direction. I usually do not see this problem when detailing my cars.
    Thanks to all,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorcycle Scratches on New Motorcycle.

What are you using to apply swirl x? I would start with less pressure more passes or a combination of less aggressive applicator/polish.

I just recently did a correction on the a vivid black (non metallic) harley and it wasn't hard to add new swirls.

For the machine polishing portion, I used CCS 4" orange, white, gray pads respectively with Opti Compound II, Polish II, and Finish Polish. Worked out great.
    For the hand portion, I used the CCS hand applicators in white and red with Polish II. I had planned on only use the white pad, but more often then not I was adding new swirls with the white pad and polish II. So I tried the red finishing pad with some polish II and this removed the swirls without adding any new ones as long as the pressure was kept light.
    M
    2012 Acura TL Graphite Luster 6MT AWD
    2013 Mazda Mazda3 Velocity Red 6MT

Post Thanks / Like

A little more scratching then just dealer wipe down, but cleaned up great. Staring my photographer/flash light girl...at times I just took her word that it wasn't quite perfect and did another pass...she was quite the pain in the rear considering she was inspecting her bike and took her job very seriously.

Also applied opti-coat to see if we could cut down on the number of small scratches, and if not, next time I will be polishing the opti-coat instead of the paint which is a bonus.

Almost done

After
    M

Mike Phillips

Working on clear coats by hand takes more skill than using a DA Polisher.

By hand you have to use very good if not expert technique, the right product and a clean, soft foam applicator pad.

By machine with ANY of the DA's, just use a polishing pad and quality polish and the machine takes care of all the technique for you.

I've taught literally thousands of people how to remove scratches by hand so it can be done but it still will never look as good as the results you can get by using a machine.

I worked for Meguiar's for 11 years and was the Primary Instructor for all their classes at their Corporate Office from 2002 to 2009. I'm very familiar with their polishes so let me see if I can work you through how to remove the scratches by hand.

First, which polish or scratch remover were you using?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by crxman2010 View Post

A little more scratching then just dealer wipe down, but cleaned up great.

crxman2010,

Did you remove the scratches by hand or machine?

Also,

Roll Call - What's your real first name?

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    crxman2010,

Did you remove the scratches by hand or machine?

Combination, most of the hard work was done with a Griot's 6" with the above listed 4" pads in post #2. There were several areas the machine just couldn't get it done due to the contours and frame so I used hand pads to clean up those areas. A lot of it was just that the contours would stop the pad with any amount pressure so I couldn't get the swirls out. Once the swirls were out by hand, a gray pad on the da with little pressure would keep spinning in those areas so I was able to do most of the bike by machine with finishing polish which definitely helped in terms of beauty.
    M

Mike Phillips

Combination, most of the hard work was done with a Griot's 6" with the above listed 4" pads in post #2.
    I was typing so fast and then going to a meeting I missed post #2 (sorry)

There were several areas the machine just couldn't get it done due to the contours and frame so I used hand pads to clean up those areas. A lot of it was just that the contours would stop the pad with any amount pressure so I couldn't get the swirls out. Once the swirls were out by hand, a gray pad on the da with little pressure would keep spinning in those areas so I was able to do most of the bike by machine with finishing polish which definitely helped in terms of beauty.
    You described a perfect approach.

Not sure if the OP of this thread owns a machine or is interested in getting one but it would be the best way to remove the scratches and restore a clear, high gloss finish both now and into the future because it's inevitable that there will be future scratches in his Motorcycle and anything else he drives.

That said, as a community I'm confident we can help see him through to success working by hand...

Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of Black motorcycles , seeing how the paint looked before I started, reminded why I don't want a black car. Seeing the paint afterwards, kind of makes me want a black car . (just not as my dd...)
    M

Post Thanks / Like

I was using Woflgang total Swirl Remover. I think I was using too much presuure on the pad 4" Blue. I'll try it again with lighter pressure and the orange 4' pad.

What are you using to apply swirl x? I would start with less pressure more passes or a combination of less aggressive applicator/polish.

I just recently did a correction on the a vivid black (non metallic) harley and it wasn't hard to add new swirls.

For the machine polishing portion, I used CCS 4" orange, white, gray pads respectively with Opti Compound II, Polish II, and Finish Polish. Worked out great.
    For the hand portion, I used the CCS hand applicators in white and red with Polish II. I had planned on only use the white pad, but more often then not I was adding new swirls with the white pad and polish II. So I tried the red finishing pad with some polish II and this removed the swirls without adding any new ones as long as the pressure was kept light.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast