autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Trying to bring back my 2011 GTI

What's up auto geek. My name is Robert and this is my first post.

As the title says I'm trying to bring back my 2011 Shadow Blue GTI to like new condition. I have had the car for around 7 months now, kept everything immaculate, but the last time I was in for service and against previous requests my car was washed by the dealer. My car was spotless beforehand, not a single swirl. I clayed it and used the Ziano system on it shortly after purchasing the car and wash it every week with a 2 bucket method, and spraying off my mitt before I even use it in the rinse bucket. Then using the Ziano QD spray before leaving.

Swirls were all over my car, but I left because I know they would just use the wrong stuff and cover them up, they don't have the right equipment to do things right. I was actually between a rock and a hard place, but I won't get into that.

So thats when I came here a few weeks ago and lurked the forums for the right stuff to get. I bought a PC 7424XP and started tonight on the car after a wash, clay, and another wash. I'm using Meg 205 (I have 105 but didn't want to mess with it because this is my first time using a buffer). I started with a White lake country pad, and a speed of 5. I have been doing the 2x2 area and 5 passes on each area.

I have 3 of each LC pad as i figured I'd be using them in the future anyway. I'm using some halogen lights to find the swirls in the car.

My problem is I'm not getting some of the swirls out as I had hoped, but I don't know if I should go with a Orange pad with 105, or use 205 with a white pad. Which is less abrasive? This is a 7 month old car so I don't want to go too overboard if and when I need to do this amount of correction again. How close to a swirl free finish do you professionals go for before you know that a polish/wax will provide a swirl free finish when your done? Kind of an open ended question and post but I'm just looking for some advice.

Thanks!

ps. This was the finish before they washed it Don't have any pics of the swirls though, they are not TERRIBLE, but are noticeable to me because I'm a clean freak when it comes to my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to bring back my 2011 GTI

Sucks man. When I go to the dealer I place DO NOT WASH signs all over. I watch the wash bay like a hawk to make sure my ride is no where near it.

From reading your thread, I have got to say that you are definitely on the right track for someone with 1 post.

As for your question. 105 is more abrasive than 205 and orange is more abrasive than white.

My guesses are either arm speed too fast, not enough pressure, clear coat is too hard. Did the 205 make a dent in the swirls at all? You could try 205 with orange, that would be the next step in abrasiveness.

You say your car is 7 months old? What is your wash and dry process like?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

First of all

I suggest going with orange pad at speed 4-5, and see how you go.

Golf (like Merc) has 'thick' and hard clear coat.

Maybe more passes will help too.

Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I love the colour of your GTI! I haven't seen that colour before - is that new for the MKIV? Just out of curiosity, what are you using as your wax/sealant?

I found using the orange pad with a Megs 205 (equivalent) worked like a charm on VW clears. Bring up the speed on the polisher to 4-5 and see if that gives you the results that you are looking for. From my own experience on my personal vehicles, VWs like an orange pad and polish equivalent to Megs. 205.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow really love the color!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    Sucks man. When I go to the dealer I place DO NOT WASH signs all over. I watch the wash bay like a hawk to make sure my ride is no where near it.

From reading your thread, I have got to say that you are definitely on the right track for someone with 1 post.

As for your question. 105 is more abrasive than 205 and orange is more abrasive than white.

My guesses are either arm speed too fast, not enough pressure, clear coat is too hard. Did the 205 make a dent in the swirls at all? You could try 205 with orange, that would be the next step in abrasiveness.

You say your car is 7 months old? What is your wash and dry process like?
    Thanks for the info. I'll try the white pad some more with a slower arm speed and a little more pressure and move up to the orange if its not removing them.

My wash process is blast the grime off around the whole car > rinse thoroughly > wash from top to bottom, doing around wheel arches last > while washing spray off mitt with hose before going into rinse bucket > agitate on grit guard in rinse bucket > agitate on grit guard in soap bucket > rinse thoroughly again > quick lap around neighborhood to get most water and rust off rotors > blow dry car off using shop vac > trim and dressings and wheels with my micro fibers that are no longer safe for paint.

To other comments, thanks for the compliments on the color, its half the reason I bought the car.

RohrC its a MKVI GTI , but I can't tell you if its a new color or not, There are similar blues in previous years but I haven't seen another color exactly like mine. I was using the Ziano Z2 then Z5 layered and between coats their QD spray, or maybe Z5 then Z2 I forget which one the instructions say first, and that was it, no wax or anything ontop of those is needed. I'll be using them again and might go ontop with some paste wax I have but we will see.

I'll go get back at it, wish me well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car man. I used to love my MKV.

Let us know how everything goes.

Post Thanks / Like

first thing you need to do is make "do not wash" signs, put them in some plastic covers, and place in the glove compartment for your next visit to the dealers.

My dealership is pretty good b/c they always ask if the person wants the free wash. They don't ask me though b/c as soon as I pull up, the signs go on the dashboard.

did they compensate you in any way? Maybe you can get some free accessories like a cargo net, or something.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Your wash process is great!

So yeah, give 205 on orange a try.
    Jacob

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Embolism, I can't exactly get into the specifics of how I am compensated by the dealer, but lets just say I know when to pick and choose my battles. Please don't turn this into a dealership flame session. Plus, I got to buy a new toy and learn something!

I just got done with the car and it almost looks flawless, I missed a small swirl here and there but they will be easily covered up using the Ziano products that I have. Or I can go back and do them by hand. I really surprised myself considering this was my first time.

My white pad I was using last night wasn't cutting enough because I had too much 205 on there. When I pushed the car out into the sun I saw the hood looked fantastic but by the time I got to the door it wasn't cutting anymore. I figured out the right amount of product to be applied and finished up about 15 minutes ago. Once again everything looks great even in direct sunlight.

I have to go to work so I will have to wash the car early tomorrow morning, and do the whole Ziano thing. I was thinking about using some Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus paste wax on on top of my last coat of Ziano, anyone recommend to, or not to do this?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will post pictures when I am done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast