autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel ShMitt - how to clean?

I must have really bad OCD because I not only keep my car really clean, but I also have a tendency to clean the tools I use to clean the car. The wheel ShMitt has been a tough one to keep clean though. It never looks dirty, but anytime I touch it I get brake dust, road grime, or old tire dressing on my hand. Yuck!

I tried a few different ways to clean it. At first, I tried spraying APC or degreaser on it but that didn't seem to get everything off the ShMitt. Then I tried some XMT pad cleaner . . . no luck again. Finally though I think I've hit on something that works.

I put my pad in a bucket of hot water and DP Foam Pad Cleaner. I let it soak for a while and then I rinse it out in some fresh water. This seems to work, but I hate to mix up DP Pad Cleaner just to clean my wheel ShMitt.

Next, I'm thinking of trying hot water and Oxi-Clean. Anyone else have any ideas on how to clean a wheel ShMitt?
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some dawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    Maybe some dawn?
    I don't know why I didn't think of that! I'll add that to the list. Thanks!
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    yea dawn is a good AIO for cleaning the tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm... hotwater... that may be the secret! I find similar results with my tire swipe... always has greasy tire dressing on it, no matter how many times I clean it!

I'll give a try with hot water next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    hmm... hotwater... that may be the secret! I find similar results with my tire swipe... always has greasy tire dressing on it, no matter how many times I clean it!

I'll give a try with hot water next time.
    No matter what cleaner I've used I've always used it with hot water. It helps to break up any oils.
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just cleaned my Schmitt. I wash it in woolite. The trick I think is to rinse, squeeze, rinse, squeeze , rinse etc. When I squeeze it and don't feel anymore particles I consider it done. Takes a lot of water. As far as dawn. it may be a bit harsh. When I wash knitted fabrics like cashmere (I'm a knitter), I have been advised to stay away from woolite as it is harsh and harms the fibers. Knitters wash their pieces in Ivory liquid, which may be a better choice than dawn or woolite. May not matter for the Schmitt but certainly for the microfiber cloths, which are an investment. liane

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had great success cleaning my Shmitt with Dawn and then Micro-Restore. I usually just rinse it with warm water, add a little dawn, rinse, rub, etc. etc. etc. Well I tried something that was so obvious I felt dumb.
    I filled up one of my buckets with some warm water, add some dawn in the water and on the Shmitt. Dunked it in the water, and worked the shmitt in my hand for about 1-2 min. After done I rinsed it in warm running water and was just about good as new. I was very pleased. After this, I filled up the bucket again with clean warm water and added about 1/2oz. of Micro Restore, dunked the shmitt in there and let sit for an hour. Rinsed it after this and threw in the dryer with no heat and 2 dryer balls. Let me tell you, it was like brand new.

From now on, I'm just going to clean the schmitt with dawn and warm water in a bucket. Maybe once every 2 weeks or month or so, I'll let it sit in the Micro Restore.

Post Thanks / Like
    i put it in the washing machine with woolcleaner, 40c, works great
    EVOIX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast