autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Choice to top WDGPS?

I just applied some WG DPS and will probably put Max Wax over it as a test.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blk5.0 View Post
    Anyone ever top it off with dodo blue velvet?
    I have some but haven't used it yet but topping it with Fuzion on a black Z4 is a vey deep wet shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Close to a nuba look by itself. I amp it up with WG Spritz Sealant after about four or five washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Leave alone, top with another coat of WGDGPS as needed
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    My thoughts exactly!

My Audi is that same deep blue that often looks black. First of all, I'm assuming you've done an excellent job polishing so your paint is extremely clear. My personal experience (from a lot of failures) is that if your paint isn't clear, then no wax will bring out that depth.

I use DGPS. I really like the depth that provides. And I've tried many, many different waxes on top of that. Honestly, I have a hard time telling the difference between the before wax and after wax. Fuzion and Supernatural might have made the paint seemed a little deeper, but to me the DGPS is what really made the difference. I didn't see enough to justify the cost of those waxes. What I DO normally use is Optimum Spray Wax. It makes it shinier and slicker. Plus, it is so incredibly fast and easy to work with, it makes me enjoy using it as my LSP.

This is my car after 2 coats of DGPS and Optimum Spray Wax...

-Laura
    2009 Audi A5 3.2L Quattro Deep Sea Blue S-Line & 1986 Jeep CJ7 360 V8 Auto w/B&M Shift Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

Laura, first off, your Audi looks great!

Yes, I've put in the prep time on the paint - it's about as good as I can get it right now. Spring will see a 2-stage workover that should eliminate the few remaining RIDS.

Kind of agree on the difficulty seeing the difference in waxes once you've got a good foundation and a good sealant applied. I may try the SSII just to satisfy the need to "do" something and see how that works. Can't hurt - worse that happens is I let it wear off or remove it with PPCL and re-do the WDGPS...

Here's a photo...

Last edited by andrew b; 01-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    2007 BMW E93 335i Monaco Blue Metallic / Grey Dakota
    2009 Lexus RX-350 Obsidian Black / Ivory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post

What I DO normally use is Optimum Spray Wax. It makes it shinier and slicker. Plus, it is so incredibly fast and easy to work with, it makes me enjoy using it as my LSP.

This is my car after 2 coats of DGPS and Optimum Spray Wax...

Do you ever find you have streaking problems with the OSW? I was using FK425 and pretty much have given up on it since even diluted I still randomly get streaks (dark-ish spots like the polymer dried too fast or something). The one QD that I really liked they don't make anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
    Thinking about this seriously as well. The paint looks very good. Part of the idea of topping is to see if it will get any better, part is to satisfy that urge to do something ...:
    "satisfy the urge to do something"....hmmmm I think we know that feeling.....so just try one this month then strip it and try another next month and keep going and see if you will ever satisfy that urge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
    Do you ever find you have streaking problems with the OSW? I was using FK425 and pretty much have given up on it since even diluted I still randomly get streaks (dark-ish spots like the polymer dried too fast or something). The one QD that I really liked they don't make anymore
    YES!!!!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. However, I've always attributed that to the FK425 because I got that streakiness before I started using the OSW. It seems to be related to temperature - if the paint is the least bit warm, it will streak. I love the slickness of the FK425, but it has definitely been harder for me to use than what I've read from others on here.
    -Laura
    2009 Audi A5 3.2L Quattro Deep Sea Blue S-Line & 1986 Jeep CJ7 360 V8 Auto w/B&M Shift Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Oh... and your car looks awesome!!!
    -Laura

Post Thanks / Like

YES!!!!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. However, I've always attributed that to the FK425 because I got that streakiness before I started using the OSW. It seems to be related to temperature - if the paint is the least bit warm, it will streak. I love the slickness of the FK425, but it has definitely been harder for me to use than what I've read from others on here.
    So the OSW doesn't do that? I actually called AG - they suggested diluting the FK 1:1, that helped some. But still frustrating to get the ocasional streak. And yes, seems more likely if the paint is even just warm (as in, in the morning during the summer even in the garage). I've been using Ultima Waterless Wash + concentrate for a QD, and it's been working well.

Oh... and your car looks awesome!!!
    Thanks

I need to get some better photos - the sun was really bright when I grabbed that one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast