autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't Get Rid Of Brown Tires!

For some reason, I always seem to get brown tires, and once they turn brown, I can never make them black again. I don't really care about shiny showroom glossy tires, I just want them black.

After trying several products, I decided to go all out and gut the Wolfgang Tire and Wheel Cleaner. I also bought a stiff tire brush.

Here is what I did:

Rinsed loose dirt from tires, applied product, let it sit for about 1 min, scrubbed the sidewall with the brush, let sit another minute, and thoroughly rinsed.

The end result was actually worse then what it looked like before! The dark brown turned into a light brown/greyish color, with scratches all over it.

Here is a pic:

Am I doing something wrong? Am I cursed to live with brown tires for all eternity?!? I got the Wolfgang, because I thought it was the best, but I am starting to wounder if there is something better out there.

BTW the tires are about 4 months old, and I have been cleaning them weekly, first with Bleach White, then with Eagle Wheel and Tire Cleaner, when I ran out of Bleach White. Used the Green Bristle wheel/tire brush on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't Get Rid Of Brown Tires!

Do you ever apply a tire gel?

The brown stuff is natural, I forget the term but it's been posted about many times. Clean the tire to the best of your ability, dry the tires and apply a product like Opti-bond, which isn't too glossy and I think you will like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash Willy View Post
    Am I doing something wrong? Am I cursed to live with brown tires for all eternity?!?
    When tires no longer turn brown (the blooming effect)....Then it's probably getting close to the time to get rid of them (the tires).

I suggest:

-Thoroughly clean your tires/wheels with P21S' Wheel Cleaner or P21S TAW; S100 Wheel Cleaner; or any citrus-based cleaner (d-limonene).
    -Thoroughly dry the wheels/tires
    -Apply a tire dressing that is milky-like in appearance: Lexol's Vinylex, 303 AP, etc.

Tire dressings must be renewed/re-applied often. Each time you wash your vehicle...include the tires in that wash regimen, with a tire dressing "re-dress" each time, if so desired.

Even this strict tire cleaning/dressing routine may not totally disallow the tire manufacturer's inherent, built-in, on purpose, protective tire compounds' formulation from coming to the outer tire surfaces (blooming/browning) upon each revolution the tire undergoes.

Note:
    Some tire 'brands' will just be: More "blooming-brown" than others.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I have had great luck using Amazing Roll Off to get rid of the brown on my tires.

Then I use a good protectant. My current favorite is Wolfgang Tire gel.

Post Thanks / Like

Blooming is happens to some tires not all. Wolfgangs cleaners are very mild. Pick up some westly bleche white otc and that'll remove it.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Griots rubber cleaner followed by Griots vinyl and rubber dressing. use both products with every wash. My tires never look brown if I am using this regimen. The Gritos will not give a high gloss. More of a new tire low gloss look.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

I too use ARO when tires get too brown or dirty looking. The bloom is inherent with tires and a good cleaning and dressing works wonders.

Currently I'm kind of partial to PERL but tire dressings are one of those things where I use whatever I have and dull down or amp up the finish by reapplying or wiping down after depending on the dressing. I have several laying around.

I also use ARO on my jet skis as they are in and out of the water constnatly for 8 months out of the year, salt and fresh water. Works great with a long handled brush.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Amazing Roll off

and

+1 "tire dressing that is milky-like in appearance". Avoid clear tire spray like Megs Hot Tires or whatever its called, IMO. My favorite is DP Gloss Tire Gel.

Post Thanks / Like

try some APC. I have never run into a tire I could not clean with some sort of APC.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash them once with amazing roll off and a tire brush and rinse. Then wash them again with ARO and an old crappy mf towel. Trust me, the towel is going to make the difference in your situation. While rinsing the tire with water flowing over it wipe the tire once more.

Then apply the tire dressing of your choice.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast