autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant Curing Problem?

Three weeks ago, I did a wash/clay/seal on my friend's new DD that is parked outside 24/7.

The paint had a lot of contamination (probably because it had not been washed in 4 months) and I burned through a bar of chemical guys medium clay. I believed that I had removed all of the contamination. I then sealed the paint with the old formula DP Poli-Coat. Unfortunately it began raining almost immediately after I finished.

I washed the car yesterday with ONR and noticed that the beading and slickness was getting weak. Paint was starting to feel rough again as well.

Usually DP lasts at least a few months on my garaged daily drivers. I am a bit puzzled that the life is so poor in this application. I went ahead and ordered a bottle of Collinite 845 for next time to see if it performs better.

Could the rain be the cause of the sealant not lasting? Ive heard of the curing issue before but thought it was exclusive to certain brands.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant Curing Problem?

Many of the products we use today are water based; meaning they can be diluted or affected by water until they've cured.

I suspect that the rain that immediately followed the application of the DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant quickly compromised the application causing it to fail... I like DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant because of it's ease in application, gloss, and durability.

By the way, Collinite 845 is a great wax and one I use regularly....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

No question that the rain immediately after the sealant application compromised the durability. That is why the vast majority of them emphasize keeping the car dry for 12-24 hours after application/removal.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    No question that the rain immediately after the sealant application compromised the durability. That is why the vast majority of them emphasize keeping the car dry for 12-24 hours after application/removal.
    Thanks. So what do you do if the car stays outside and the air is slightly damp? Am I SOL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    Thanks. So what do you do if the car stays outside and the air is slightly damp? Am I SOL?

No, not at all.

Depending on where you live, you have to pick and choose your detailing days and times carefully.

On a nice sunny day apply the sealant in the morning and let it sit in the sun and cure throughout the day. As long as you get 8 hours or so you should be pretty much there.

I checked the writeup and don't see anything regarding temperature but in general the cooler the temp the more time it'll take to complete and cure.

Generally most products recommend you not apply them in direct sunlight. I do believe this is true to a certain extent but it also has to do with your location, ambient temperature, and time of year.

Example

Where I live the temperature's forecast to hit low 50's. This time of year and these temperatures are the perfect stage for me to apply just about any product and take advantage of the sun warming up the finish thus aiding both the application and removal.

Also, the darker the color the warmer the suns affect.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    No, not at all.

Depending on where you live, you have to pick and choose your detailing days and times carefully.

On a nice sunny day apply the sealant in the morning and let it sit in the sun and cure throughout the day. As long as you get 8 hours or so you should be pretty much there.

I checked the writeup and don't see anything regarding temperature but in general the cooler the temp the more time it'll take to complete and cure.

Generally most products recommend you not apply them in direct sunlight. I do believe this is true to a certain extent but it also has to do with your location, ambient temperature, and time of year.

Example

Where I live the temperature's forecast to hit low 50's. This time of year and these temperatures are the perfect stage for me to apply just about any product and take advantage of the sun warming up the finish thus aiding both the application and removal.

Also, the darker the color the warmer the suns affect.
    Thanks, that makes sense. When I originally applied the DP sealant it was a cloudy, damp 50F day in San Francisco.