autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dry Ice Blasting

I've seen these machine used to remove mold on wooden surfaces of homes used as "grow ops", it removes a fine layer of wood fiber along with the mold to expose fresh uncontainminated wood surface.

I would be worried with soft materials such as drive belts or plastics under such pressure, but it will be good to clean caked on dried out oil and grease accumulations on hard metal surfaces such as shown on this link [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHchu1tNyc]Dry Ice Blasting- Engine Block - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

The money to be made with a dry ice blaster is not in vehicles. It is not in mold removal. It is in grifitti removal. Check with you city, county and state highway department and see if you can bid on grifitti removal from concrete.

Insurance policies will no longer pay for mold removal so that market has mostly dried up. (some exceptions)
    Regards,
    Mike Stephenson

Post Thanks / Like

Dry ice blasting is absolutely amazing!

A girl I know had a pipe fail inside a wall on her second floor. Before it was discovered it had flooded inside walls, floors, ceilings all over the house.
    The repairs cost almost 125K and all the drywall in the house had to be removed. Mold was growing on most of the wood. And the mold abatement company used a dry ice blaster to clean all the wood. It looked like a brand new framing job had just been completed. The foreman told her that the dry ice blaster saved him (and her insurance company) 30K in repair costs. They are incredible machines. And I never even thought of using them on graffitti or auto work either.

Post Thanks / Like

you question it being used on plastic???
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqHwq6Fkr3U]Dry Ice Cleaning Porsche GT3 Supercup Car - YouTube[/video]

and

how about cleaning the bottom?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCtHzTXYK1M&feature=plcp&context=C3043444U DOEgsToPDskJuxamSMzGRUPWxQUJ9BCbU]CryoDetail - Porsche 993 Carrera 4S Complete (TuneRS Motorsports) - YouTube[/video]

chris<pixelmonkey>

Post Thanks / Like

I used to run a large food peocessing and distribution plant and warehouse. We used dry ice blasting to clean out our insulated shipping containers and occassionally truck interiors. The unit was stationary and way bigger than anything referred to here. Co2 levels were a major issue and needed to be monitored constantly. When cleaning inside a trailer the operater needed to wear a Scott Air Pak. It would clean anything you could bring to it. Our Co2 cost was 12 cents a pound.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

opie_7afe

ive seen the vids on youtube and would love to have the machine, alas i would only have it if i was rich or won the lotto or made a ton of cash and planned on opening a business that would use it for most of its income. the thing is very gentile i have seen the dry ice blasters to remove smoke from old books and the book was brought back to great condition again.awesome machine for sure would love to use one on my undercarriage and engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    looks like a waste of money and energy used to lug the extra stuff around.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12