autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to maintain the car after a full detail job?

After a full detail is done to help keep it looking top notch and keep those tiny scratches and swirls out and keep it looking top notch longer, what is the best way to keep it looking great?

I am asking for a few reasons...

I have a car that only gets driven on the weekends and sits in the garage with a car cover during the week. After I fully detail it what is the best way to keep it looking great! I was thinking about may using some quick detailer spray and a nice purple micro fiber cobra towel? Any other suggestions?

Also what about a daily driver car that sits outside?
    Should i just wash it once a week and use a particular soap? and a nice micro fiber scrubber?

Any ideas, thoughts, and suggestions would be great!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Proper weekly washes and quick wax for the DD. And your plan for the garage queen should work great.

As long as you practice good wash technique you should be fine. Grit guards in both buckets, and a nice soft wash media.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the best way to maintain the car after a full detail job?

Best advice, stop using the car cover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Best advice, stop using the car cover
    Ditch the cover, all it takes is a little bit of dust under the cover to cause marring.

To maintain a full detail, I would just use a weekly ONR wash and be done with it. Use quality towels that are perfectly clean with 2 bucket method and you'll be very happy.
    Jon Miles

Mike Phillips

Here's a few articles on keeping your car clean...

Spray Detailers

Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges

Car Washing

How to maintain a freshly waxed car

Scratch your car for $5.00

The reality of the 100% Hand Car Wash

Washing Cars Inside of Your Garage

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash?

The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash, a Rinseless Car Wash and a Spray Detailer

The big picture is everything that touches the paint needs to be of the highest quality you can obtain and then used with care. It won't help to have the best wash mitt or microfiber towel if you use it haphazzardly...

I touch on this in my book to on pages 12 and 13... probably other places too...

One of the curses of a flawless show car finish is trying to keep it that way. Tommy showed me a scratch he put in the hood of his Camaro by accident at the John Staluppi Car show I attended a few weeks ago. It was on the black stripe on the hood and stood out like a sore thumb.

Of course he knows how to machine buff paint now so he took it out using his new Flex 3401 but the point is he's very much aware of the condition of each square inch of paint on his car and understands to keep it the way it looks, winning prizes at car shows, he needs to be on top of his game all the time when it comes to maintaining the show car results.

1970 1/2 Camaro - Show Car Finish by Pinnacle - Modeled by Amy

He'll be here tomorrow with his car, I'll take a look and see how he's doing...

Post Thanks / Like

I touch on this in my book to on pages 12 and 13... probably other places too...

Ordered the book yesterday! Can't wait to read it bc as a newb whose PC has been sitting in the box since summer, I have so many questions. This thread was one of them. I've been reading all the "how to" articles too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
    I didn't realize that the car cover would really or could really actually mess up the paint.
    I got the cover when i purchased the car.

Thanks mike ill have to look into that.
    you got a link to where i can purchase your book?

I also saw some of the videos on the site that can be purchased that im assuming you give a full walk threw step by step on each thing. I tend to be a more of a visual and hands on kinda person vs a book person.

Post Thanks / Like

good washing techniques and, based on others' opinion, Master Blaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    Ditch the cover, all it takes is a little bit of dust under the cover to cause marring.

Before I put the car away for the week and cover it up I always use a spray detailer to clean it off so next week or when ever the next time i take it back out it will be ready to go.

Would i be OK if i were to get a nicer higher end car cover and make sure to keep detailing it before the cover goes on and it sit for the week or so...?

OR

Would i be better off just not using a car cover all together?
    I have a 2 car garage and i am pretty active in the garage with working on stuff and i don't want to bump up against it or have it get dinged or something. I feel i have a little more peace of mine when the cover is on protecting the car. Do they make a nice car cover thats like super soft on the inside so it will help protect the car?

opie_7afe

what i do for my dd(i try to keep it looking nice and clean) is every day or every other day use a waterless wash product,if i get lazy and wait 3 days or something i will do a rinseless wash then use some wipe on wipe off spray wax and keeps it looking freshly waxed and nice and slick on a constant basis.i agree with others ditch the cover, the dirt could be inside the cover itself, if you're washing the cover as much as your bed sheets it might be safe to use i just never trusted them unless car was outside. use a quick detailer for light dust, think being at a car show. waterless wash is better for say a days worth of normal driving (say 30-50 miles) rinseless wash is not for caked on mud but a weeks worth of normal dry driving i would say is fine depending on filth level though. a great product to have is optimum no rinse or some detailer's pro rinseless wash and gloss/waterless wash. both great products to keep your car looking awesome. but a quick wax once a week really keeps it looking good.a longer nap microfiber is best for waterless washes/quick detailers as the dirt will go into the fibers and keep away from paint.spray wax i prefer ag's new chinchilla microfiber towel thing is just awesome for some xmt spray wax!.i would get mike phillips book(i still need to get one) and read through the book, will give you some great info. same goes with reading the tips/techniques,hot topics, and how to sub-forums to gain some knowledge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast