autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vodka as an Anti-Freeze?

May sound weird but I'm trying to find something to put in my steam cleaner so I don't have to bring it in my house every night- it weighs 325 with fuel and water. Any ideas if I can use anything and not mess the boiler or anything up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vodka as an Anti-Freeze?

The bigger question I want answered, would you get tipsy the next time you used it

Any way to drain it and run it dry?
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Tom....mix it with tomato juice,a splash of tabasco,a little horseradish...garnish with a stalk of celery and you have the anti-freeze! Oh Wait.......your talking bout your steamer? I have no clue....heading to kitchen for some tomato juice
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I knew this was gonna happen!!

I have 888 post lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very expensive truckmount carpet cleaner and I put washer fluid in it to protect pump and heat exchanges from freezing. The main benefit is it has low freezing temps and easily rinses out very easily. I only do this when it gets really cold like below 0 F.

I have 1500w heater in the van to keep the machine above 32 F.

Just install a heater and plug in every night. It probably is gonna be much faster than putting washer fluid in it every night and pumping out. Try that and keep an eye on it. In very cold environments some need to insulate the walls of there van or trailer

Does it have a Pressure Gauge? If it does the washer fluid will NOT protect it and it will freeze and break.

Please tell me it doesn't just sit out side and is not in a van or trailer or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    May sound weird but I'm trying to find something to put in my steam cleaner so I don't have to bring it in my house every night- it weighs 325 with fuel and water. Any ideas if I can use anything and not mess the boiler or anything up?
    Surely you don't have any "left-over" Vodka from your recent "out of fuel" in Florida experience???

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Surely you don't have any "left-over" Vodka from your recent "out of fuel" in Florida experience???

Bob
    LOL If I still drank there would be no possible way I would still a drop left

Post Thanks / Like

This is a joke, right? I mean, your customer would think you've been boozing it up in their car. Seriously, with the number of mobile detailers and carpet cleaning companies--this must be an asked-and-answered question, no?

After a quick Google search, toycar seems to have the answer. I found these two:

You must Winterize your extractor to protect the pump system from freezing. Damage due to freezing is not covered under the Limited Warranty. Store your extractor in temperatures over 40ºF. If you plan on storing your extractor in freezing conditions you must prime your sniper with antifreeze.
    200 and 500 models: Fill the solution tank with 1/2 gallon of 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and follow the priming instructions in the set up and operation section of this manual. Vacuum excess mixture out of the solution tank into the recovery tank and dispose of antifreeze properly.
    100 psi models: Fill the solution tank with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and use the wand to spray mixture into a bucket. Vacuum excess mixture out of the solution tank into the recovery tank and dispose of antifreeze properly. Be sure to flush out pump and vacuum system thoroughly with fresh water before use.

AND:

Your carpet extractor should be winterized between uses if it is to be exposed to freezing temperatures. To winterize your machine, pour 1/2 gallon of windshield wiper fluid into the empty solution tank. Run the pump until fluid flows through the tank. Then run 1 gallon of water through the extractor before the next use.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol someone that use to pressure wash said he would put a little vodka in it to keep it from freezing. I'm using this steamer for the exterior of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

OK...here's a winterization procedure I found for a Therma-Kleen propane unit:

1.You will need:
    ◦Automotive windshield washer fluid/anti-freeze or RV type "Pink" anti-freeze.
    Make sure the anti-freeze you use will handle the freezing temperatures in your area.
    1.For 250/600 one gallon of anti-freeze.
    2.For 1000/1300 two gallons of anti-freeze.
    ◦Short length of garden hose (about 3 feet).
    ◦Large bucket.
    2.The machine will be connected to a water supply and AC power only. You do NOT need to connect anything else to the machine.
    3.Connect the machine to a fresh water supply and AC power. Set the machine where the excess anti-freeze will not harm anything.
    4.Pour the anti-freeze into the bucket.
    5.Prime the machine by turning on the water, then turn the Pump switch to On for a few seconds, then turn Pump switch Off. Turn off the water and disconnect water supply.
    6.Connect the short length of garden hose to the water inlet. Hold free end of short garden hose in the bucket so it will draw anti-freeze.
    7.Turn the Pump switch to On. You should see water exiting from the outlet and the anti-freeze being drawn into the inlet because the level is decreasing in the bucket. It may take a moment for the anti-freeze to start flowing throught the machine. If the anti-freeze does not draw into the machine then prime again as above.
    8.Watch the water outlet on the machine for signs of anti-freeze. Be sure to keep the inlet hose down in the anti-freeze by tilting the bucket if needed.
    9.When you see anti-freeze at the outlet then turn the Pump switch to Off.
    10.Disconnect machine. It is now safe to store in freezing temperatures.
    11.Make sure you drain all hoses and wand of water before storing in freezing temperatures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast