autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing Microfibers?

I've been washing my microfibers by hand for fear of the washing machine (which is frequently used with fabric softener soaps) having fabric softener residue and ruining the towels. Will there actually be residue left behind or is this just in my head? It's a high efficiency washing machine so I don't think I can use the microfiber soaps sold on autogeek, any tips? Been washing them by hand but getting tired of all the work haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing Microfibers?

Its in your head .... use the machines. You can add a little APC for very dirty towels as wanted in addition to MF soap. You can also add some white vinegar in rinse to make softer as desired. Dry on low heat with no fabric softner, then fold and store outside of dust and dirt.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use the wash machine on cold and no softener. No bleach or color safe bleach either.
    Before I throw them in i soak in bucket of water and laundry detergent and rinse them. Maybe overkill but I do it anyway

Post Thanks / Like

HE washing machines have been known to accrue odors, and have mold form on the door gasket. Use either the Affresh that often comes with the washer or a similar product (I've been using Whirlout and the Gritt Grabber for the gasket) per the manufacturers' recommendations.

If not, the regular wash loads cycles will build up a residue, that if not removed, could possibly transfer to your MF towels.

Now...Let the machine do the cleaning!

Just a thought or two.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I use Detailer's Pro Series Microfiber Cleaner from AG

DP Microfiber Cleaner concentrated microfiber detergent and degreaser

Works great in my HE machine...

Post Thanks / Like

With that being said, i have the opposite problem. My wife has washed my MF towels with Fabric sofeners, and dryer sheets. I have noticed a very bad decrease in absorption. What can I use to restore them quickly?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Conklin View Post
    With that being said, i have the opposite problem. My wife has washed my MF towels with Fabric sofeners, and dryer sheets. I have noticed a very bad decrease in absorption. What can I use to restore them quickly?
    I'd throw them away and start fresh...Costco sells 30 MF yellow towels for $15.00. Buy a few more high quality one's from AG/Cobra when they have a BOGO and you will be a happy man!

Bacon

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber towels that have been subjected to fabric softener can be restored by washing them as you would after a detail. I use the same laundry detergent that I use on my regular laundry, and the microfibers come out clean. Best washing results will be attained with a pre-1997 top-loader washing machine. The high efficiency washing machines like the original poster is using do not clean anything as well as a pre-1997 top loader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    The high efficiency washing machines like the original poster is using do not clean anything as well as a pre-1997 top loader.
    I dunno about that, we had a member on another forum who got one of the HE front-loaders with the "sterilize" cycle, and said he had MF's with stains that had been washed many times previously that came clean with that (of course, he said the wash cycle was 2 hours long or something like that).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies! So grit grabber is a HE detergent? I wasn't following the part about the gasket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast