autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

help with this paint problem

A friend showed me his 2004 black Honds motorcycle that a sticker was removed by previous owner on fuel tank. paint is original and sticker has left its mark. No residue or anything like that but he tried to compound it off. did not work.

now there are marks from his attempt and you still see the outline where the sticker was. It was a factory sticker with something about fuel he said
    Attached Images Attached Images help with this paint problem-2011-10-01-16-20-37-1-1-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with this paint problem

I know in some cases stickers like that can be under the clear. I wonder if that one was and he managed to peel it up leaving a spot with no clear.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - "Crystal"
    2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata - "Mindy" (SOLD)
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab - "Bruce"

Post Thanks / Like

It's a small picture but it looks like he needs to do a bit more work. Perhaps hitting the area with a dual action polisher and something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. from there use a finer abrasive and pad combination to obtain the gloss he's searching for.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    It's a small picture but it looks like he needs to do a bit more work. Perhaps hitting the area with a dual action polisher and something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. from there use a finer abrasive and pad combination to obtain the gloss he's searching for.
    ^^^ This is sound advice.

Honda puts those stickers on top of the clearcoat. The adhesive can be difficult to remove even when using Goo Gone and heating with a hair dryer, like most recommened on mc forums. As many of those as I've removed without leaving any marring, I did manage to make a small (not noticable to anyone else) haze mark on my black 03 VTX1800.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

Looks like someone used the uncooth method for sticker removal
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

the reson for the sticker removal was it was starting to peel on the edge so they just took it off. the adheavsive remover worked good but the outline was there .
    Hope my PC will take care of it. Hope so I really dont want to have to use trizact on it. but thats a total last resort.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

looks like a scouring pad was used to remove the sticker residue. If thats the case, you will need to wetsand the area, then compound, then polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c.maskelony View Post
    the reson for the sticker removal was it was starting to peel on the edge so they just took it off. the adheavsive remover worked good but the outline was there .
    Hope my PC will take care of it. Hope so I really dont want to have to use trizact on it. but thats a total last resort.
    thanks
    It sure looks like much more than them trying to remove the outline. Must just be the angle of the shot. Good luck, I hope its just the surface of the clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    looks like a scouring pad was used to remove the sticker residue. If thats the case, you will need to wetsand the area, then compound, then polish.
    I thought the same thing- looks like some scouring pad damage... No reason not to try some buffing it out with some compound (such as Ultimate Compound, as recommended earlier) before wet-sanding, if for no other reason than, like me, maybe you've never wet-sanded before...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dtuna42 View Post
    I thought the same thing- looks like some scouring pad damage... No reason not to try some buffing it out with some compound (such as Ultimate Compound, as recommended earlier) before wet-sanding, if for no other reason than, like me, maybe you've never wet-sanded before...
    I totally agree with you here. I have only wetsanded on a my beater truck with is my DD. I wouldnt be confident doing it on another persons vehicle. But if a scouring pad was used, there is likely very deep damage that would be safer to wetsand. People dont realize how much damage those scouring pads can do. They remove paint fast and they cut extremely deep and theres nothing uniform about it.

Obviously start with the least aggressive method, but if it was me I would have the Surbuf pad and M105 ready to go on hand. As well as 2 and 3K grit sandpaper and some ONR solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast