autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonneau Cover..

Post Thanks / Like

Tonneau Cover..

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean/protect/maintain these? Everytime I clean it, it has streaks of dirt no matter what I use to clean it. I am looking for something to protect it and maintain it to keep it looking new all the time. It is a Truxedo Roll up Tonneau cover on a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy duty with an 8ft bed. Suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tonneau Cover..

Clean with a boars hair brush and apc+...protect with UTTG. Works every time.
    Jon Miles

Mike Phillips

I would consider using 303 aerospace protectant for a dressing. Used correctly it leaves a dry finish.

I outline all the specifics about vinyl and 303 in this article. Even though it's an article about restoring an antique vinyl top all the information is accurate for new cars, trucks, suvs...

From my article list...

Vinyl Top Care and Maintenance

How To Restore and Protect a Vinyl Top using 303 Products

Using a clean, soft dry microfiber towel, remove any excess product, fold to a dry side and wipe the top till it's dry to the touch.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    Clean with a boars hair brush and apc+...protect with UTTG. Works every time.

This would also be a good option, be careful about using APC+ at too strong of a dilution as vinyl has a protective coating from the vinyl manufacturer and what you're actually wanting and trying to do by doing "maintenance" is protect this coating so the plasticizer oils cannot escape causing the vinyl to dry and crack.

I cover that here too...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31Mmetnioc]303 Aerospace Protectant on Autogeek's What's in the Garage? TV Show - YouTube[/video]

Clean carefully, then find a product you like and use it often...

Post Thanks / Like

Jon, I was thinking of going that route, but like Mike said, I was afraid of not diluting it enough and having it end up ruining the cover. I just placed an order for the poorboys line, I will wait until next week to get the 303. Thanks for the replies! Everyone else can still feel free to chime in with there opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ooohh...S2K has opened my eyes to something else...anyone else use the Wolfsteins?? Or Mike, have you?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

You also might find this helpful....

How To: Properly Clean & Protect a Tonneau Cover

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rddmxmeth10 View Post
    Ooohh...S2K has opened my eyes to something else...anyone else use the Wolfsteins?? Or Mike, have you?

Wolfsteins makes great vinyl protectants too and I personally know and like Rick Goldstein the owner. I don't think I've written an article on his products but I have used them and like them very much. Over two years ago I treated my truck's Bikini Top with his fabric protectant and it's just now showing signs that I need to re-coat it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiUjQKZaLrI]Raggtopp Canvas Top Cleaner and Protectant on Autogeek's What's in the Garage? TV Show - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdhFOCYc5I]Cleaning and Protecting Leather Car Seats - Autogeek's What's in the Garage? TV Show - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Q996A-Pig&hd=1]Mike Phillips demonstrates how to properly protect your canvas or vinyl convertible top. - YouTube[/video]

Mike Phillips

If applied correctly, that is applied, worked in and the wiped dry, there's nothing left on the surface to run in the rain.

Most people are use to applying a Armor-All type product where you apply multiple coats and because the product doesn't dry it builds-up on the surface and when it rains it mixes with the water and runs off leaving streaks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast