autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat or BFWD and Collinite 845?

I've never done paint correction or have even thought about paint protection to this extent. So a little advice would be appreciated. I recently got the Griot's DA 5.5 pads and Wolfgang Twins to attempt corrrection. Hopefully this part goes well. What I'm most concerned about is the LSP options. I have BFWD, Collinite 845, and bit at the Opti-Coat 2.0 VIP special. Here are some important things to note:

Black 2010 Camaro with Cyber Gray Metallic vinyl stripes

300+ miles a week Mid West daily driver. And when I say daily, I mean even drving in the snow with salt, sand, and the thing I almost hate more, saline solution spray.

Some swirling from weekly washes and likely a lot were dealer installed.

I do use a two bucket wash with GG and wash pads from another place.

I'm not the kind that looks forward to cleaning my car, but do it so it doesn't look too bad for a day or so.

Honestly after I ordered the OC 2.0, I began to worry about my ability to prep for the OC, how the OPC may affect the stripes and or it's adhesive on the edges, whether I would be able to see whether I had high spots of OC during the application...etc.

Any advice from those that have gone before me would be appreciated. Keep in mind, despite getting my first car in 1977, this is the first that I'm getting ready to do paint correction/protection.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat or BFWD and Collinite 845?

You have asked some really good questions about the Opti Coat. You are clearly thinking this through before you proceed I wish I could answer your questuions regarding the OC but I've been hesitant to use something that is semi-permanent. I do use BFWD and #845 and the combination looks great.
    1998 Ford Explorer

Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    You have asked some really good questions about the Opti Coat. You are clearly thinking this through before you proceed I wish I could answer your questuions regarding the OC but I've been hesitant to use something that is semi-permanent. I do use BFWD and #845 and the combination looks great.
    1998 Ford Explorer

Your Explorer sure looks nice.

I hope to not derail my own thread, but a question for you about the BFWD. If I use Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, do I really need to do a IPA wipe down or wash with OPC before BFWD? I know, I really should have stayed within one brand.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

no you wont need to wash it you can use a IPA if you like to clean off all the leftover oils on the paint from the polishing glaze. you dont need anything real strong to strip it since there is nothing to strip. You could also get teh CarPro Eraser or the Griots Pre Wax cleaner..both of those products will clean the oils off just spray on and wipe off like an instant detailer..then you will be ready to go

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you need to find a more experienced detailer to prep your car and apply the OC 2.0. Can you give us a more precise location and maybe we can steer you to someone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
    I've never done paint correction or have even thought about paint protection to this extent. So a little advice would be appreciated. I recently got the Griot's DA 5.5 pads and Wolfgang Twins to attempt corrrection. Hopefully this part goes well. What I'm most concerned about is the LSP options. I have BFWD, Collinite 845, and bit at the Opti-Coat 2.0 VIP special. Here are some important things to note:

Black 2010 Camaro with Cyber Gray Metallic vinyl stripes

300+ miles a week Mid West daily driver. And when I say daily, I mean even driving in the snow with salt, sand, and the thing I almost hate more, saline solution spray.

Some swirling from weekly washes and likely a lot were dealer installed.

I do use a two bucket wash with GG and wash pads from another place.

I'm not the kind that looks forward to cleaning my car, but do it so it doesn't look too bad for a day or so.

Honestly after I ordered the OC 2.0, I began to worry about my ability to prep for the OC, how the OPC may affect the stripes and or it's adhesive on the edges, whether I would be able to see whether I had high spots of OC during the application...etc.

Any advice from those that have gone before me would be appreciated. Keep in mind, despite getting my first car in 1977, this is the first that I'm getting ready to do paint correction/protection.

Thanks
    I've Hi-Lited some of what seems to be more important parts of your post.

Driving through all sorts of weather means you want to apply the most resistant or robust products available. While I truly love BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant and Collinite 845 my first choice would be Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 provides a hard coating that protects the paint. Considering that you do not look forward to a regiment of cleaning I suspect this would fit your needs precisely.

The product is easy enough to apply and if you follow the instructions you should have any issues. I've never applied it over vinyl stripes so maybe Chris from Optimum will chime in.

First things first: Relax and take your time. Once you're ready, do a nice test spot so see what corrects the surface defects best and then move forward doing one panel at a time.

Begin by following some of the basics.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correct
    • Clean corrected surface throughly
    • Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

You already have a dual action polisher and paint correction products.

• Tape off the stripes so the correction products don't stain the stripes.
    • Correct until your satisfied
    • Clean the surface with a suitable product
    • Dry
    • Apply Optimum Opti-Coat according to the directions.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It sounds like you need to find a more experienced detailer to prep your car and apply the OC 2.0. Can you give us a more precise location and maybe we can steer you to someone?
    I really wanted to try to do everything myself. Had I not spent all of the money and scheduled a week off, the idea of letting someone else do the detailing doesn't sound bad. I now realize it would have been cheaper all around to have a pro do it and then me maintain. Ideally, I'm hoping that I'll like the results and it will spark more interest or enjoyment. But in the event, it doesn't work out I'm in St Louis MO.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby's response is right on.
    I would never use IPA on a black car. It can streak and damage the paint if the concentration is greater then 1:10. I like to use Klean Strip - Prep All before applying BFWD. You can also use mineral spirits or DuPont Prep Sol.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I've Hi-Lited some of what seems to be more important parts of your post.

Driving through all sorts of weather means you want to apply the most resistant or robust products available. While I truly love BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant and Collinite 845 my first choice would be Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 provides a hard coating that protects the paint. Considering that you do not look forward to a regiment of cleaning I suspect this would fit your needs precisely.

The product is easy enough to apply and if you follow the instructions you should have any issues. I've never applied it over vinyl stripes so maybe Chris from Optimum will chime in.

First things first: Relax and take your time. Once you're ready, do a nice test spot so see what corrects the surface defects best and then move forward doing one panel at a time.

Begin by following some of the basics.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correct
    • Clean corrected surface throughly
    • Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

You already have a dual action polisher and paint correction products.

• Tape off the stripes so the correction products don't stain the stripes.
    • Correct until your satisfied
    • Clean the surface with a suitable product
    • Dry
    • Apply Optimum Opti-Coat according to the directions.

Thanks! Just what I needed to hear. I really need to find a number and call Optimum before doing anything on or around the stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, if you've got a week off, go for it. Just don't get frustrated, there's going to be some learning curve and sore muscles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast