autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping Sealant+Wax=Wasteful

This is one part about detailing that always irks me. Why do people feel the need to use two different lsp's? Do they believe using a paint sealant will seal the paint and the wax is what will add the beauty? As of late my opinion about topping with different lsps has. I use a specific lsp because I like the looks and characteristics of that specific wax/sealant and any addition of a new wax/sealant on top completely changes its characteristics.

With that saying what is the point of applying a sealant on the base if you are going to top with a wax? Is it going to be for durability? If that was the case people would be using durable sealants/waxes(845/476s/fk 1000P..etc) as a base and topping with a beauty wax but when I see someone applying WG DGPS or Menz PL, for example, as a base and topping it you are going to only have the visual effects of the last applied layer. The subsequent layers get washed away. Why use a premium sealant if you are going to cover it up anyways? My logic says if you want a durable base but you're going to cover it up its beauty why not go for the most durable base regardless of looks?

I personally dont see a need to waste time(unless you have it) to be applying multiple lsps when the over all finish is not going to be drastically different from the other. You will notice very minute differences when doing a 50/50 but on a large scale with two cars wearing two different lsps, it is hard to discern the differences.

Don't get me wrong. I am a wax/sealant junkie and have over 30 different lsp's and believe me I like to play around with them but I see no need to apply top sealants unless durability is the reason and even then you should be using the most durable not whats durable and looks good as the looks would be concealed. Maybe its just me...
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping Sealant+Wax=Wasteful

Agreed! I've done it before but just because I was in the mood to wax. When I apply Menz PL it looks great as it is and stays that way for awhile. I'm having a hard time going through with my Opti-Coat app because the PL is still holding strong.
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

Sealants have come a long way in terms of having a "carnuba" look to them...that deep, wet, non-candied look. There is no need these days to top a good quailty sealant and to those who still argue that nothing looks as good as wax.... Then why apply a sealant at all... When you can get 4-6 months out of collinite 915 or 845 that will outlast most sealants and looks great. There are two myths out there... That sealants outlast all waxes, and that a sealant can't look as good as wax.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

4. Likes gobygred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I stand a lone but I like using DG501 as a base and then apply a carnauba over it. Waste of 10 extra minutes? To others maybe, to me? Not at all I like the look it gives especially products like Bilt Hamber Finis, Wet Obessions, Souveran, SSII and others

Post Thanks / Like

I also follow Duragloss 501 the next day with Collinite 845. I do it because it adds more longevity and possibly a slightly warmer glow. It takes less than 20 minutes to wax the car and so I find it quite refreshing since I only do my cars every 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like

To me I dont really consider DG501 as a sealant though it does have really good durability. For me I use dg501 as chemical paint cleaner and to lay down a good base for what ever lsp I end up using. What I am talking about is the use of premium pure sealants(WG DGPS,Menz PL, 4* UPP, UPGP, BF WD) under waxes.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to find a sealant that has the look of a carnauba. BFWD comes close but adding a carnauba like Midnight Son makes it look richer and wetter. I have no problem pitting on a sealant every 3-6 months and a wax once a month. Some cars I have seen with the most durable sealants while looking shiny, IMHO look like they have a coating of plastic on them.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I think much of it is personal preference and from the days when sealants weren't anywhere near the quality they are today.

In terms of durability, sealants have surpassed that of most of not all of the waxes on today's market. Now, before everyone starts chiming in let me quantify that statement by their advertised durability.

Klasse High Gloss Sealant indicates
    12 months! Now, could some of this be boasting to gain market share? Quite possibly, after all who's going to actually put together a controlled documented test plan then execute it along with all the documentation?

A few of today's waxes I'm aware of seems to run out of gas in the 6 to 8 month range however most go South in the 2 to 4 month range.

Today's sealants are a far cry from the sealants of yesteryear. Their depth, gloss, ease of application and durability are tremendous and in most cases outperform in all aspects their natural counterpart; Carnauba.

Apply 2 coats of sealant for supreme durability...............then top with Collinite 845.....

My take on it anyway...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

501 is a sealant. I also use CG Jet Seal, FK 2180 and others but there are some sealants such as Four Star UPP, DG 111 and others that I would never top.

Post Thanks / Like
    I rarely top sealants. Lately with all of the new sealants, including those that are polycharged, I find myself saving my carnuabas for my garage queens.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast