autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Preventing mice from living in your ride in the winter???

Any tips? (keeping a cat in the car is not gonna happen).

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preventing mice from living in your ride in the winter???

I have heard that putting dryer sheets in the interior engine areas helps. I have been doing it the last 2 years and have not had any issues.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

A good snake might do the trick

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of mousetraps? I also heard vinegar will keep them away. (Or was that another thread?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I have heard that putting dryer sheets in the interior engine areas helps. I have been doing it the last 2 years and have not had any issues.

Make sure the car is sealed up (windows/top) and put your a/c control on recirculate so they can't climb in that way
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post

They seem to work well. I would suggest that you place paper towels or something underneath them as some people have reported that they will stain carpets and such. I'll also place steel wool inside the tail pipes (just inside) as mice like to burrow in there. If you're worried about scratching the pipes then use some painters tape to cover the inside of the tips.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that peppermint oil on a cottonball works well in the house. Something about ti drives them nuts. You'll need to keep reapplying every other week or so, and you'll get a pretty strong peppermint smell, but like I said...it works in the house.

I found a bottle at CVS. Small bottle (like 3-4oz.) was about $25, but lasts forever.

opie_7afe

lol a snake! good call,i read that using dryer sheets as 300zx said does work, also some urine of a predator to mice might work, but mostly you need to stop the mice from getting into the car some suggest putting car up on jackstands and putting mouse traps around the jack stands. the best method from my research is having a lift and storing car on that along with some traps, or get a "car bag" which is a huge bag you put youre car in with some silica gel(to absorb moisture) and you should be good to go for the winter, just remember to put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank let it run after you add the additive(to get to fuel lines ect) disconnect battery and remember to start it up and let it run to operating temperature every so often through the winter. one pet peeve of mine is people will store cars for years on end and not even crank them up thinking they will be fine...far from the truth a car is built to be driven! if its not ran every so often certain seals,gaskets, O-rings can and will dry out. for instance of the 95 grand prix gtp my dad had, bought it with low miles and was stored for about 4 years in a garage before he bought it, drove great, ran great for the first year then a lot of the plastic/rubber parts started to fail. eventually i lost brake pressure and couldn't stop the car from going into the back of a car(luckily it was a no damage accident)but of course it had to be a undercover cop in a taurus!!! yeah it sucked and now the cars in car heaven as it would cost more to fix then it was worth...maybe call some local classic car clubs in the area and ask how they store their cars and some tips/tricks about doing so to keep the car in great running and looking condition for years to come...hope i helped you out some!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    A lot of mousetraps? I also heard vinegar will keep them away. (Or was that another thread?)
    VINEGAR... THAT'S FUNNY!!!!

I think I read that thread too, somewhere.
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are different products that are just for that purpose.

Depending on where you live, try any 'farm supply' stores. Rodents ARE a huge problem on farms.

One product I use is called (I think-need to get some this weekend): "Mouse Magic" (or close to that name). Another one (I've seen at a truck stop of all places)...can't even remember the name, but may be Worth a shot to look at.

Most if not all seem to use a 'mint' base.

Hope this helps...I HATE MICE, and their kin folk!

Bill