autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wife just got a new...

2011 Lacrosse CXL. I have washed and detailed my own cars for years and looking to do the same with hers. I have always used blech-white for my tires but is it to harsh? Is there something else to consider at my local walmart or auto parts store to consider? Also, I would like a tire dressing that won't sling off. Is it possible to buy something like this at Wally world of the like?

What are your opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wife just got a new...

A lot of people here like Bleche-White. If you have any auto parts stores around you that carry Duragloss, they have a very nice tire dressing if you're trying to go OTC and not order from Autogeek.

You might want to look at your technique for tire dressing if you have sling issues; do you go back and buff off the excess? Are you using an oil-based or water-based dressing?

Post Thanks / Like

2 great OTC products are Simple Green for cleaning tires and wheels and Meguires Endurance Tire Spray for dressing ...work great, smells great too!

good luck

Fussman

Post Thanks / Like

I will dry the tire, then apply the dressing with a contoured applicator. It varies as to which dressing I use. I have used Tire Wet and 2 different types from Mequiers. One was the Endurance. The endurance did a little better than the tire wet. I apply and leave assuming that the tire will absorb. Should I be buffing??

Post Thanks / Like

I use Simple green to clean my wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sserdlihc View Post
    I use Simple green to clean my wheels.
    To clean the wheels? Please don't do that. My wife bought a 2011 Regal CXL last September and I have maintained the wheels with soap and water only. The tires get Griot's Garage Rubber Cleaner or Optimum Power Clean. I have used Bleche-Wite maybe 5 times in one year on her car. Tire dressing has been Optimum Opti-Bond or DP Tire Gel, water based dressings only.

By the way, Congrats on the purchase!

Sent using iPhone 6 prototype on 5G Network
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

To clean the wheels? Please don't do that. My wife bought a 2011 Regal CXL last September and I have maintained the wheels with soap and water only. The tires get Griot's Garage Rubber Cleaner or Optimum Power Clean. I have used Bleche-Wite maybe 5 times in one year on her car. Tire dressing has been Optimum Opti-Bond or DP Tire Gel, water based dressings only.

This is why I posted the question. I have always used Simple Green but just didn't know if it was too harsh. I am mainly looking to exhaust any OTC options first, before I have to buy from AG.

I invested in some digifit floor liners from Weathertech for her as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new purchase and the best of luck with it.....

Tires

Wesley's Blech-White has been around for as long as I can remember and for an over the counter tire cleaner it works very well on tires. If it wasn't to harsh all these years I'm curious to hear why you feel it would be now?

Wheels

All factory wheels today are painted or clear coated or both. If maintained, washed, regularly, a general soap and water solution will clean them up nicely. What I would recommend is once they're clean and dry coat them with a wheel protectant such as Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Wheel sealants or waxes provide a protective layer that repels 50% to 75% of dirt and brake dust making cleaning even easier..

Tire Dressing

There are over the counter products that perform well and the key to not having anything sling is not to apply it too think and wipe the tire down afterwards to ensure there is no excess and even out the richness.

Floor Liners

WeatherTech makes the finest custom fit liners available today. I use them in all my vehicles and they look great and more importantly work!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply BobbyG!

I suppose the reason I am 2nd guessing myself on the blech-white is because I hear it is so harsh on the tires. I've had good luck with it in the past. May continue with it, just looking for other options.

As far as a wheel sealant, couldn't I just use a good tech wax?

I have not been wiping off the excess on the tire dressing. I will start hence forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sserdlihc View Post
    Thanks for the reply BobbyG!

I suppose the reason I am 2nd guessing myself on the blech-white is because I hear it is so harsh on the tires. I've had good luck with it in the past. May continue with it, just looking for other options.

As far as a wheel sealant, couldn't I just use a good tech wax?

I have not been wiping off the excess on the tire dressing. I will start hence forth.
    Tire Cleaners

Most tire cleaners are harsh to some extent but if you've had great success with it in the past then I think it only makes sense to stay with it. I'm not suggesting that you don't try something else, I really enjoy experimenting with different products but if it's not broken the why fix it.

Another over the counter product that works great on tires and wheels is the one in the purple jug sold at Wal-Mart. It's a fairly strong all purpose cleaner and can be diluted if desired to reduce its aggressiveness.

Any protective coating can be and should be applied to a clean dry wheel. I used Collinite 845 on my wheels and found a huge difference in how much added protection and shine it gave my wheels. I've also tested a couple of dedicated wheel sealants and found that the Poorboy's product I mentioned seems to work a little better...

If you have a good wax use it and gauge it's ability to protect...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast