autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Inverter

Post Thanks / Like

Power Inverter

So I read a thread about detailing if you live in an apartment, I'm in the same situation here at school, I have no access to an outlet to plug in my PC. I only detail my car so it's not like I need to use it all the time, has anyone ever used a AC/DC power inverter to run their buffer off of the cig lighter outlet? Is it possible? What wattage inverter would I need?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power Inverter

Quote Originally Posted by aherzing View Post
    So I read a thread about detailing if you live in an apartment, I'm in the same situation here at school, I have no access to an outlet to plug in my PC. I only detail my car so it's not like I need to use it all the time, has anyone ever used a AC/DC power inverter to run their buffer off of the cig lighter outlet? Is it possible? What wattage inverter would I need?

I have a marine battery and stock electrical system in my Rodeo running a Harbor Freight 1200 watt inverter. It will power my PC to do a 1 step on an entire vehicle and vacuum the interior with my small 1.75 hp Craftsman shop vac with no vehicle starting issues at all. I am sure I could do at least 2 of those details with no issues starting.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know, I don't need to hook a vacuum up or anything, I just want to be able to use my DA for compounding, polishing, and wax application/removal... I just have my stock battery, think I could get away with a 1000w ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aherzing View Post
    Good to know, I don't need to hook a vacuum up or anything, I just want to be able to use my DA for compounding, polishing, and wax application/removal... I just have my stock battery, think I could get away with a 1000w ?
    Multiply the amp rating of your PC times 110. That will equal your minimum wattage requirements. (Example amp rating of 7 x 110 volts = 770 watts) Most people will tell you to double the minimum wattage requirements for inverters, generators, etc. because initial startup amperage is greater than running amps. Play it safe with peak wattage at about 1500 and running wattage at about 1000 watts for a 7 amp tool.

Post Thanks / Like

I use this for my PC when there's no outlet available.
    12V Power Inverter - 1500 Watts Max
    Works ok at the higher speed settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I occasionally use an inverter. Its a 1500 watt. But cant go through cigarette lighter. You draw too much current and blow a fuse. Mine had that option but cant use that I tried it and nope don't work, so directly to the battery is your best bet. Had no problems running a DA. For a while

Post Thanks / Like

When I was off at school I had the same problem. What I did was go to a local self service car wash and use their power outlets - and they have a power washer...one thing I could not bring to college with me

I even got to know the owner, George very well - The third year I returned he always came over before I starting vacuuming and would pay it; He knew the inside of my car never got dirtier than one $1 vacuum cycle LMFAO.

Post Thanks / Like

I've often thought about picking one of these things up to keep in my truck. How expensive are these and are they reliable?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok now I've read that some people leave their car idle and some people just start it every 15-30mins... What would be the best practice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DealerDetailer View Post
    When I was off at school I had the same problem. What I did was go to a local self service car wash and use their power outlets - and they have a power washer...one thing I could not bring to college with me

I even got to know the owner, George very well - The third year I returned he always came over before I starting vacuuming and would pay it; He knew the inside of my car never got dirtier than one $1 vacuum cycle LMFAO.
    I should go check that out, great idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast