autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Certified Professional Detailer?

How does one achieve this coveted status? I have read of many "professional classes", but none that offer such a name. Id it a program offered at a trade schools? What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Certified Professional Detailer?

First I've ever heard of it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Mike Phillips

Certifications for detailing are a popular topic the problem is getting some kind of agreement in the industry is tough to do.

Besides that, whose to say a person can attend a class, get certified by whoever is holding the class, but then go back and do shoddy work?

Factory paint is thin, that's a issue.

A mechanic can be certified and bold on a starter motor but he doesn't have to contend with thin paint, just a couple of bolts and a wrench. Polishing paint takes more "care" and "passion" than can be guaranteed by a certification.

The certificate we provide is modeled after the certificate I used while at Meguiar's and that's a "Certificate of Participation", not accomplishment because there's no way to control the kind of quality work a person turns out after attending a class.

Just some thoughts on the topic...

Mike Phillips

If I were looking for a detailer to work on my car, I would trust the write-ups of the detailers work and the feedback provided about them on a forum like this as it's kind of like Angie's List in that it's self-policing.

Forums are great because everything is out in the public...

Post Thanks / Like

I find word of mouth is better than any kind of certificate. It may take doing some jobs in the begining fairly cheap to gain someone's trust. But after a few people have faith in you to take care of their vehicle, they will tell others!

Personally, I would rather have someone tell me "he/she did a great job and I would go there again" then to go to someone who just has a bunch of papers on the wall!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have inquired about a certain program out there and to this date I have not received a response. If this is such a great thing then why do those who push it not appear on the list? I'm not attempting to start trouble or anything, I honestly just want a response. I am interested but need a justification.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To me its a little like being a tattoo artist there isn't any certification, its exacting work and its not always the same, but if you are good you have a portfolio to show customers its more an art than something that can be taught

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many types of paint and conditions to influence the proper solution that it would be near impossible to get a certification that meant anything. Conditions in a controlled class situation may not necessarily be duplicated. Nothing replaces passion and experience.

I'd love to take a class but I'd prefer even more...hanging out with prominent detailers picking their brains and experiencing what they face on any given day. That would be worth more to me than a piece of paper.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickelanddime View Post
    To me its a little like being a tattoo artist there isn't any certification, its exacting work and its not always the same, but if you are good you have a portfolio to show customers its more an art than something that can be taught
    I believe most states require licensing for tattooist's. Doesn't mean they're good, I think it has more to do with the laws requiring sanitizing and/or disposal of different equipment, insurance, etc...

opie_7afe

imo id rather there be no certifications for detailing. seems like every industry now wants you to have a piece of paper saying your certified. that piece of paper is worthless, as if your a great detailer it shows in the quality of your work and how you explain stuff to your clients.people should grade you on the quality of work you do not a silly piece of paper...real world experience is worth way more then that piece of paper. hope i helped with my opinion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast