autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dust, a dirt road, a carport and DP waterless

Newbie here guys. New to AG and it's products. We have to travel about 1/4 mile of gravel road to get home and only a carport for protection from the elements for the wifes car. We wash her car on average twice a week. The car is covered when parked, but all it takes is one trip down the dirt road and we get a fine layer of dust mostly on the back of the car. She already drives slower than slow down the dirt road. Just no getting around it. We use a California Duster every time before covering the car, but sometimes I feel the layer of dust is too thick even for the duster. Thinking of getting the DP Waterless and using that after every trip home. Thoughts? Should I follow up the DPW with a spray quick wax? Sounds like a lot of work every time she goes to town, but it's her baby, and she wants it looking it's best whenever possible. I also don't want the car cover scratching the finish with that pesky layer of dust on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dust, a dirt road, a carport and DP waterless

I think that should work as long as its just light dust. There are also products that advertise anti-static properties so maybe they could help. I can't remember of any off the top of the my head but I'm sure someone else could chime in with the names of some.

Welcome to Autogeek Online!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking that if it is too dusty for the Cal Duster it is probably too dusty for the waterless wash. If I had to do this I would try one panel first, using the Cal Duster lightly to get off as much dust as possible, then use a liberal amount of DP waterless and see how it comes out. I would be mainly looking for scratches left behind by either product. If you can live with the results, try the rest of the car. I hope the car is not black! I'm no expert compared to most others here, but this sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place. This is what I would try. I would also be sure that the car is waxed on a regular basis to be sure that any surface scratches that did occur would be easier to get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    I think that should work as long as its just light dust. There are also products that advertise anti-static properties so maybe they could help. I can't remember of any off the top of the my head but I'm sure someone else could chime in with the names of some.

Welcome to Autogeek Online!
    I know Finish Kare 425 has some anti-static properties.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I live on a dirt road too. I have a black car. My neighbors and I pitch in to have the road sprayed with a chloride solution to keep the dust down. Would it be possible to get enough people involved or no way? I also have a C duster. If its real dusty I rolled it as I move it across the paint like a car wash brush. (I know I just made everyone on this sight cringe) Sorry guys/gals
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

When I visit some friends that have a farm, and all dirt roads, I give the car a blast with an air gun. It blows off almost all the dust. It's hooked into their air compressor and is putting out 125psi. At least the car is not covered in dust when it is driven out in the morning.

Then when I drive home I will wash the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input. No easy way around it when you live on a dirt road. The car is not black, but it might as well be (charcoal silver). I have a portable air tank (converted propane tank) i could use to shoot some air at it. that plus the Cal duster might help. Still think I'm gonna get the DP waterless though. Can you use the DP waterless as a clay bar lube?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zedhead07 View Post
    Can you use the DP waterless as a clay bar lube?
    Sure can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    Sure can.
    Thanks matt. Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not driving too slow could allow the dust storm to overtake her car if she's got a tail wind.

I agree with the comment on the California duster being a bad idea, there's just too much dust and you're more than likely imparting fine scratches with every swipe.

1. When she gets home hose the car off with plain water. This will float a majority of the dust off the finish.
    2. Give the car a quick wash with DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss. In the shade, wash each panel twice.
    3. Use an electric leaf blower to dry the entire car. This approach avoids any contact with the finish.
    4. Give the car a once over with Optimum Spray Car Wax

PM me when you get a chance...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast