autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Buying new

Post Thanks / Like

Buying new

Im looking to get into detailing as a side job and keeping my new dodge ram in Stone white looking good. My question is what package deal would be a good start with the pc. Also my mothers Black car has seen better days, I think it an 03 Isuzu Rodeo. How thick is the clear on these vehicles or should I just go ahead and invest in ththickness gauge?

Thanks for all your help; look forward to enjoying this forum more!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying new

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

It's all opinion. Maybe ask a more specific question to get more replies. I would get the basic starter package but request the 5.5" pads with it instead of the the 6.5" it comes with, they work better. And I would get some Meguiars #105 and #205, you should be able to tackle most anything with that. Then the choices of wax/sealants, the skys the limit
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

If no one has Welcomed you, let me be the first!

To Autogeek Online!

Take the money you'd spend on a thickness gage and buy some good equipment and products.

Kit Page

Car Care Kits, Car Care Cleaning Kits, Complete Detailing Kits

Decent kit

Flex Kit

If I were in the market for a kit this would be the one I'd choose.

Porter Cable style machines

The 6 1/2" diameter pads a Porter Cable 7424 in my opinion pushes the limit of the machine and this could be part of the problem.

I have the Porter Cable 7424 and found a world of difference when I decided to try Lake Country 5 1/2 diameter pads.

The Porter Cable 7424 style dual action polisher should come standard with 5 1/2 inch pads and corresponding backing plate.

Pads & Friction

The size or surface area does not directly affect the frictional force between two surfaces until downward force or pressure is applied. Reducing the pad size will only improve the mechanical efficiency of the machine.

The motor of your polisher produces some amount of power. The larger the pad surface area the harder the motor must work. Now, most will say "it's only 1 extra inch", but when it comes to surface area and friction your really talking about an additional 10 square inches. Now take a look at the difference between the 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7" pad...........Size does matter!

Surface Area - 5 1/2 pad = 23.75 in²

Surface Area - 6 1/2 pad = 33.18 in²

Surface Area - 7 pad = 38.484 in²

There is a direct relationship between the pad surface area and the polishers ability to transfer adequate power to the pad improving it's overall performance.

Lake Country Pads

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

Backing Plate

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate

Paint Perfection

Menzerna Bundle

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound

Many really like the new Meguiar's Microfiber Dual Action Correction System

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I guess being more specific would have been more beneficial.

My truck- 2010 Dodge Ram Stone White. Im looking to remove swirls and Rids. I also I have a couple spots that got touch up paint applied to them. Iwould like to clean up the overall condition of the paint.

My Mothers- 2003 Isuzu Rodeo Black. Horribly swirled and lots of Rids with oxidized paint. I would like to turn her car around for her. Its just her commuter car so itll be my practice canvas, lol!

I know the polishes and waxes are personal choice, but I would like to know what washes and stuff to purchase along with my kit.

Thanks to those who have replied. I will go for the 5.5in pads on my PC as it appears to be more efficient.

Thanks
    Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chad,

BobbyG gave good suggestions for machines, polishes, and pad choices. I would really look into the Meguiar's Microfiber Correction Kit.

For the washing stage I would suggest a Grit Guard for you rinse bucket. After washing a section you can rub your wash pad against this to remove dirt and grime on it so when you go to wash another section you are not grinding dirt into the panel.
    The Grit Guard Insert - Black

A Microfiber Chenille wash mitt is what I would suggest. Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt: Microfiber Wash Mitt, car wash, shampoo mitt

For car wash soap I would get both Optimum No Rinse Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products and some Meguiar's Gold Class Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner 64 oz. - A moisturizing car wash & conditioning soap to lubricate and clean your vehicle.

Now after washing I would use IronX Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination This will remove any iron containments and even make claying easier IMO.

Claying is a very important step. If you don't clay you run the risk of creating more swirl marks in your paint while polishing your car. This also helps with sealant and wax bondage. You can use Optimum No Rinse as a clay lubricant(just be sure to dilute it) and a clay such as Meguiar's Meguiars Professional Auto Detailing Clay, meguiars C2000 clay bar, Detail Clay cleans better than polishes! Clean your car with Meguiars Detailing or Pinnacle Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today. Use auto Detailing clay to deep clean car paint, glass and chrome. will work fine.

Now for cleaning wheels, tires, and wheel wells.

You can use either Meguiars All Purpose Clean Plus Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus D103 or Optimum Power Clean Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill New & Improved! for the tires and wheel wells.

For wheels Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner works great! SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

I think I included mostly everything that was left out. Hope this helps!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R