autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum rims ruined by acid...

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    All you need is a metal polish. Acids only cloud/stain the finish so any type of metal polish would take that out.
    Exactly, acid on UNCOATED alluminum wheels is ok. It actually flashes the metal with a haze and cleans them very well. You should only just need to polish them out. Try M105 it makes a great alluminum polish. You should be able to get them looking nice and shiny like chrome rather quickly. Its gets messy though, lots of black residual everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I've never actually used the Mothers ball...but there's something about the Megs cone that just looked to be more useful to me. I've been wanting to get one for a while now.

I've actually done that once before. It took one hell of a lot of elbow grease, ha. I'm going with machines this time...I ain't screwing around!

along with nevrdull,mothers mag and alum.,flitz and a few other brands of metal polishes I have a full metal/wheel polishing kit that comes with an air tool and about seven different buff wheels and several compounds. works like a charm and less elbow grease,and not draining the battery on my drill.Aluminum rims ruined by acid...-41qcivmxyjl-_ss500_-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal View Post
    Exactly, acid on UNCOATED alluminum wheels is ok. It actually flashes the metal with a haze and cleans them very well. You should only just need to polish them out. Try M105 it makes a great alluminum polish. You should be able to get them looking nice and shiny like chrome rather quickly. Its gets messy though, lots of black residual everywhere.
    Thanks, Barry. I've actually used M105 many times on chrome. You're right...it works very well. It does get messy...but it's always worth it. Especially when those rims are sitting on a 69 Camaro!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright...He finally brought the car to me. I was SHOCKED at how bad they really were. I've never actually seen acid damage on aluminum like this, cause as I said before...that was a rule I always knew (not spraying acid on aluminum).

Anyways, as soon as he brought the car in my shop...I knew right off the bat that the rims were going to have to be removed. As you can see, there are some large openings that allowed the acid to go right inside. I guess deep in the back of my head...I was hoping that didn't happen, ha.

I've gotten all four done already. Here's what I was dealing with. These pics are of only ONE rim. Bear in mind that all four were sprayed! So each one looked like this, if not worse...

Doesn't look too bad in this one...

But...they are bad, ha.

Annnnd the reason they had to be removed...

Now...time to get to work. I tried getting this done as gently as I could. I first tried some polish a couple times. All that did was basically shine up the damage, ha. Then, I tried Wolfgangs aluminum compound and a wool ball on my drill. It did a little...but I couldn't remove the stains at all. There was no doubt about it...I had to be very aggressive here.

So, my process went as follows on all four rims...

- Cleaned with Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean (LOVE this stuff)
    - Scrubbed with Flitz scuff pads while wet with Pre-Clean
    - Wolfgang Aluminum Compound with a wool ball and drill
    - Polished with a sample of Meguiars Hot Rims All Metal Polish 2, and maybe 3 times with a Mothers cone.

This process took me about an 1-1.5 hours for each rim...I know, fun huh? lol

Here are the results...

Vehicle still needs to be detailed...so no tire shine for now! lol

I will be giving them another polish when the detailing is done...but I was more than happy with these results so far! And oh yeah, if you don't have a lot of patience...I don't recommend taking on a job like this, ha.

P.S. As for the sample of Megs Hot Rims...I love this stuff. It smells fantastic, and works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

They look great now.
    I have been using a product called Busch's on aluminum as of lately. they have a compound and a polish. Both work amazing and are super easy to use. Be nice to have AG stock this line!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job!
    This is a classic example on why we all should start out less aggressive on restoring a finish.
    If you had whipped out the sand paper which may have appeared necessary to a lot of folks, you'd have spent 3 times the amount of time you took to restore them, and maybe even averted another problem.
    This is a great forum !
    enjoy life while you can

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

We sell a kit to fix damage like this, and AutoGeek stocks the components - our PowerBall Mini MD (part # 05142) and PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish (05150).

That removes the damage, and then you finish up with Billet or Mag & Aluminum Polish on a regular PowerBall or PowerCone.

Work time per rim should be 30 minutes max for complete restoration.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post

And oh yeah, if you don't have a lot of patience...I don't recommend taking on a job like this, ha.

Good advice.

Thank you for capturing really good "before" shots like this one...

Care if I use this in future article if I give you credit?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used this combo for neglected wheels and it worked great! Never thought about using it on acid damaged wheels .....

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    We sell a kit to fix damage like this, and AutoGeek stocks the components - our PowerBall Mini MD (part # 05142) and PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish (05150).

That removes the damage, and then you finish up with Billet or Mag & Aluminum Polish on a regular PowerBall or PowerCone.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post

I always like to finish polish with Mothers Billet polish. I think it always gives the aluminum a nice clear finish. I haven't found anything that I feel works better

I love polished aluminum a lot more than chrome. Chrome looks nice and is almost maintenance free but I think aluminum has more depth in the reflection when fully polished.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast