autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Question for the urethane/mineral spirits headlight users

I was wondering how long a pre-mixed mixture of spar urethane and mineral spirits can be stored together for. I have gotten a good amount of calls for headlights lately and it seems like I could save time if I had the mixture already mixed up.
    Do some of you keep a pre-mixed bottle on hand? Or is it best to mix them right on the spot?
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for the urethane/mineral spirits headlight users

Quote Originally Posted by Rav777 View Post
    I was wondering how long a pre-mixed mixture of spar urethane and mineral spirits can be stored together for. I have gotten a good amount of calls for headlights lately and it seems like I could save time if I had the mixture already mixed up.
    Do some of you keep a pre-mixed bottle on hand? Or is it best to mix them right on the spot?

I would think that the introduction of dust, and other contaminates; and, the creation of the dreaded and unwanted bubbles by pouring unused portions of the "mix" back and forth out of your storage container; should be of a greater concern than the longevity of the "mix".

But then again, I feel that spar urethane is better used on wood projects, rather than on polycarbonate vehicle lenses.

Just my opinion.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Since both products are kept in their own seperate sealed containers, I would think that if ya kept the mixture of the two in a sealed container as well that it would last awhile. Just stir it up before ya use it.

I've only use this mixture on two cars and that was last year. But if you use it often, I don't see why it wouldn't work for ya.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

I asked this same question I think in the original thread for this method and the response I got was far more educated than I can remember but it basically wasn't an issue. It can be premixed and stored.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaHen View Post
    Since both products are kept in their own seperate sealed containers, I would think that if ya kept the mixture of the two in a sealed container as well that it would last awhile. Just stir it up before ya use it.

I've only use this mixture on two cars and that was last year. But if you use it often, I don't see why it wouldn't work for ya.
    Thank you, How did you like the results?

Quote Originally Posted by 02nissanISR View Post
    I asked this same question I think in the original thread for this method and the response I got was far more educated than I can remember but it basically wasn't an issue. It can be premixed and stored.
    I remember reading it somewhere but I just wanted to make sure. I tried looking in the original post but there were so many pages of content. Thanks! I will pre-mix in a sealed container.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rav777 View Post
    Thank you, How did you like the results?
    The results were and still are great.

Applied just one coat of this concoction to my son's Dodge van last October and to his 2002 Altima last May. Both still looking great. .
    Used 3M's Headlight Lens Restoration System.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I would think that the introduction of dust, and other contaminates; and, the creation of the dreaded and unwanted bubbles by pouring unused portions of the "mix" back and forth out of your storage container; should be of a greater concern than the longevity of the "mix".

But then again, I feel that spar urethane is better used on wood projects, rather than on polycarbonate vehicle lenses.

Just my opinion.

Bob
    Have you seen the results? I would use it if they sold the stuff in California. This method puts a better layer of protection then when the lenses were brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Anderson View Post
    This method puts a better layer of protection then when the lenses were brand new.
    I would have to agree with that statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen the results? I would use it if they sold the stuff in California. This method puts a better layer of protection then when the lenses were brand new.
    Here is a source on Ebay. This is the "49 state" version. Or you can plan a trip to Vegas and buy it while you are there.

2 Quarts of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane CLEAR GLOSS | eBay

I bought them and transferred some to a half pint paint can I got from an art supply store.
    To keep the rest fresh I give them a shot of nitrogen just before I press on the lid.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen the results?

If your talking about spar-urethaned top-coated polycarbonate lenses, then: Yes.

On the same note: Have you seen spar-urethane top-coated lenses after a few months service when they are exposed to high heat and UV's rays?

Do you know this type of repair's service life expectancy under any given condition?

I would use it if they sold the stuff in California.
    So, if I'm to understand this statement: You haven't actually used spar-urethane top-coating as a repair method on polycarbonate lenses?
    But yet you make the following statement:

This method puts a better layer of protection then when the lenses were brand new.
    Please, then, if you don't mind, explain the reasons you feel that spar-urethaned polycarbonate lenses will, as you state, "puts a better layer of protection then when the lenses were brand new". Do you mean that this type of repair will stand up to the elements as well as, and with a service life expectancy of: Factory applied, kiln or UV heat cured, 1K or 2K clear-coat polyurethane top-coated polycarbonate lenses? Surely not.

I feel the method, or ones similar to, of repairing polycarbonate lenses as outlined by Barry Theal, and seconded by numerous other Professional Detailers, is the correct system of repair. Also, IMHO...How can a short-lived spar-urethane repair even be considered by a detailer (or for that matter, customers), when a person can offer a three year warranty to customers....once skilled in....and then by utilizing...."The Barry Theal" repair method? My guess it's for return "business" from disgruntled customers. To each their own methods, though.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast