autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question DD Maintenance Routine?

In general, what's the best way to maintain a DD in good condition? And what products to use to protect the paint? (polish/wax, just wax, just sealant, All-in-one, etc)

I'm basically asking for a general maintenance routine, lets say wash every x weeks, clay every x weeks, wax every x weeks, etc.

What works better for you?

Thanks for sharing
    Accomplishment and success are often the result of commitment and perseverance rather than skill or talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DD Maintenance Routine?

Quote Originally Posted by JRivers View Post
    In general, what's the best way to maintain a DD in good condition? And what products to use to protect the paint? (polish/wax, just wax, just sealant, All-in-one, etc)

I'm basically asking for a general maintenance routine, lets say wash every x weeks, clay every x weeks, wax every x weeks, etc.

What works better for you?

Thanks for sharing
    wash every 1 week
    clay every 3-6 months
    wax depends on what you previously used. before all the previous protection disappears

Post Thanks / Like

Wash
    Iron X
    Clay
    Wash
    Polish
    Wash
    Opti Coat

Don't worry about doing any of that every again for one~five years but normal washing.
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Following is a schedule I attempt to adhere to.

Weekly...weather permitting:

Wash....2 or 3 bucket method
    Dry.......after each wash (air supply, leaf blower, pat down w/MF/detail spray)
    Detail Spray/Spray Wax....then follows.
    LSP....when/if needed

Yearly:

Clay......once each year
    Compound....once each year if need be
    Swirl remover/Polish...once after each clay/compound session
    LSP

Quarterly:

Polish....(more often when deemed necessary).
    LSP

Note: Paint Decontamination....once every three to five years?
    Wash...after Decontamination..then follow with yearly session

I do plan to change-up this routine somewhat, though, when I finally make the decision to apply Coatings to the DD's.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    Wash
    Iron X
    Clay
    Wash
    Polish
    Wash
    Opti Coat

Don't worry about doing any of that every again for one~five years but normal washing.
    I'd love to do that last step myself, if only I had known about it or it had been available or whatever 2 1/2 years ago. I don't really want to seal in my paint chips lol.

My maintenance routine has been to wash weekly (or no more than every other week, sometimes I get busy), QD every day on horizontals when I have time. I haven't done more than two prep/wax sessions in the last year since I started doing this car by myself, though coming up this weekend I will be doing one. Instead of just wash, clay, paint cleanser, wax I'm changing it up. Replacing paint cleanser this time at least with Wolfgang finishing glaze or TSR if needed, then Wolfgang DGPS for longer term protection and wax topper just because I like the look of carnauba

Post Thanks / Like

Meh OC/Cquartz/Aquartz/C1 wouldn't have prevented the rock chips but it sure as heck would make cleaning your car and keeping crap off of it easier.
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I finally took the plunge and did Opti Coat this weekend. My DD is a 2011 Acura TL. I am very impressed so far.

The rain just seems to roll off and disappear off this car now. The shine is very good. I am going to wait to wash it until this weekend. I would highly recommend this coating to anyone with a DD. The time saved will allow me to keep the interior pristine.

I plan to do weekly washes and claying every 6 months or so. This should be it for me for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arack View Post
    I finally took the plunge and did Opti Coat this weekend. My DD is a 2011 Acura TL. I am very impressed so far.

The rain just seems to roll off and disappear off this car now. The shine is very good. I am going to wait to wash it until this weekend. I would highly recommend this coating to anyone with a DD. The time saved will allow me to keep the interior pristine.

I plan to do weekly washes and claying every 6 months or so. This should be it for me for quite a while.
    It is my understanding that once you use opti coat it is not recommended to use a wax over it. I was considering doing this with my car but i really love to wax it.... it is my Zen moment, with three small kids and a dog and a wife i really need the time to myself. i am thinking of doing this to my wife's van so i don't have to worry, but i will wait till it is back from the body shop. if i am wrong about the opti coat please let me know
    What do you mean? All of these car care products are old honey, I have had them for a long time. Don't you remember me having them?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Chris@OPT posted once that its like throwing that product in the trash since it won't bond properly onto OC. So if you enjoy putting a product on your car after you wash it (and who doesn't on this forum?) than this thing isn't for you.
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    Yeah Chris@OPT posted once that its like throwing that product in the trash since it won't bond properly onto OC. So if you enjoy putting a product on your car after you wash it (and who doesn't on this forum?) than this thing isn't for you.
    Thanks Sean, i thought so, it will be good for the minvan, but for my car i really love the glow of freshly applied wax, and the energy the car radiates after a good wash and wax....ok i am a little nuts!!!
    What do you mean? All of these car care products are old honey, I have had them for a long time. Don't you remember me having them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast